27" LED Cinema Display - Power Supply Issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
hey guys... I have a 2010 Mac Pro w/ 27" LED Cinema Display where it seems the power is going out intermittently. The display was making a white noise "shhhhh" sound for the last couple of days; including after I shut down the CPU, the display was continuing to make this noise. So I pulled out the plug and reinstalled it after some time, and nothing... no display, no sound, no shhhhh, and my iphone connected to the USB port was not being charged. Leaning over the CPU, I hit something (maybe the desk, maybe the cables?) but the display came on.

Having only one display, switching out is not really an option here. I'm ready to open the display up and the question is if you guys agree that it's probably the power supply board that needs to be replaced, or if it's something else that I don't know about. It seems clear that it is not the Logic Board, and I don't think it's the Mini-Display card on the CPU. It could be a cable, of course, but I'll switch out the cables just in case. Anything else I should think about? Anybody know of an IC or a cap on the supply board that has been particularly problematic?

Thanks.
Paras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Mine was the cable with a lot of the same symptoms. I had mine replaced by Apple and it was around $100. The power supply and logic board are fairly inexpensive as well. I had too much invested to scrap the monitor so I chose to go to Apple.

From what I could gather from the Genius, the cable failure is pretty high. He told me that he saw many more cable issues vs. Logic board and power supply issues.

All of the parts can be purchased on various online sites if you choose self service over Apple. You can also get instruction from the iFixIt website.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
My issue was the all in one cable (922-9362)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are we discussing the Mac Pro as stated or a MacBook Pro by chance? First up suggest removing gfx card and cable/s and re-seating if indeed a Mac Pro and a flashed PC or Mac card?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks... yes, it's a Mac Pro, not MBP.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy New Year All.... I ended up replacing the all-in-one cable on the Cinema Display and this definitely helped. The display does not go out blank intermittently anymore and works as expected.

However, I still have an incessant white noise problem emanating from the display. The white noise gets louder with increased brightness and doesn't completely go away even if the brightness is reduced to the lowest setting.

Unless I'm wrong, it looks like this display does not have a separate backlight inverter board. So I'm thinking it could be an LED cable, Logic Board, or Power Supply Board. Any other suggestions? Is there a way I can triangulate down further?

Thank you.
Paras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try removing the Mac Pro's graphics card, cleaning and reseating firmly. Bit of a nuisance those double connectors to the logic board.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
done. re-sat the graphics card... no change.

I also noticed that when the computer and display are off, and a peripheral like an iPhone is connected to the USB port on the back of the display, I also get the static white noise emanating from the display. If the iPhone is not connected, everything is silent.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I would lean toward a failing power supply, or some kind of grounding issue. These kinds of things are tough to diagnose and throwing money at them for parts is not always the best answer. Do you have an Apple store nearby that you can go to for diagnosis? Maybe they have seen this before.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes... but I don't have AppleCare, so I"m trying to do this myself.

I think so too, but the power supply board and logic board were replace a couple of years ago; I suppose they could be bad again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes... but I don't have AppleCare, so I"m trying to do this myself.

I think so too, but the power supply board and logic board were replace a couple of years ago; I suppose they could be bad again.

I understand. Even without AppleCare a true Apple store will diagnose for free. They can hopefully tell you what is wrong with it to steer you in the right direction for repair.

Remember, it has to be an Apple store, not an authorized repair center. I have seen a lot of people go to authorized centers expecting free diagnosis and then getting a bill

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, will do. Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... the Genius Bar guys were able to reproduce the problem that the volume of the white noise increases with increased brightness. This would mean that the LCD Panel Part #661-5542 would need to be replaced at a cost of $800. The Genius did say that in his opinion it was very probably the LED Driver or the LED Driver Cable inside the LCD Panel; however, Apple would only be able to replace the entire LCD Panel, not just the LED Driver and/or cable. He also said that he did not think it was the Power Supply board because the way that the LCD Panel is connected to the Power Supply board would cause the display to go on/off completely, but not give the white noise problem that we are seeing... he would not elaborate further. He also pretty confident that the Logic Board was fine, as well.

Any thoughts one how I could find the manufacturer of the LCD Panel or obtain just the LED Driver/Cable and replace it? Any insights on the Power Supply Board connection to the LCD Panel?

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.. I think I was able to figure out that the LCD Panel is made by LG Semicon LM270WQ1(SD)(B1):

The Apple model # for this item is : 661-5542, LM270WQ1(SD)(B1)
Compatible Apple Model #'s for this item are : A1316, MC007LL/A

and that the LCD Controller Board for LM270WQ1-SDB1 is available on EBay for $89.99:

LCD Controller Board for LM270WQ1-SDB1

This board works with the FI-X30SSL-HL 30-pin cable that is used on the LM270WQ1-SDB1

Can anyone confirm or deny any of these? Should I be able to drop in this LCD Controller Board and be good to go?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure you can check that out by going to the ifixit site but it's worth a try: Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your particular 27" Cinema Display and the take apart instructions.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any experience here?

THanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I'd give an update...

The company has gone thru different owners including Hyundai, LG-Phillips, LG Display Ltd., etc. so took a bit but finally tracked down the data sheet for the LG Semicon display. Reading thru the data sheet it appears this display includes the LCD and backlight LEDs, but without the LED driver integrated into it. Therefore, the LED Driver is the one integrated into the Logic Board. Looks like a new Logic Board is $200 on eBay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I take it then, you're going to replace the Logic board yourself? Also, in a previous reply you stated the logic board was replaced several years ago. Seems to me they should last a bit longer than several years....

Reaction score
Repair

Thought I'd give an update...

The company has gone thru different owners including Hyundai, LG-Phillips, LG Display Ltd., etc. so took a bit but finally tracked down the data sheet for the LG Semicon display. Reading thru the data sheet it appears this display includes the LCD and backlight LEDs, but without the LED driver integrated into it. Therefore, the LED Driver is the one integrated into the Logic Board. Looks like a new Logic Board is $200 on eBay.

I know this is a few years ago, but any chance of another update? I'm having the same hissing problem with my 27" Cinema Display. I've already spent hundreds on having the electronics all checked out and replacing the power supply. Every time I think of tossing the thing out, I see the picture quality and can't let go. Spending $800 to fix it is obviously a non-starter.

Jamie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.