Dual side-side Finder windows at login

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
(Hoping this is the correct forum ... )

I always use two Finder windows side-by-side. I find it is a lot easier for copying or moving files, as well as monitoring one folder because an app's activity.

I have an BetterSnap Tool, but I don't want it to be the default for all my apps, just Finder.

I looked at various Applescripts to be found on the internet, but I can't say they are exactly what I need.

My iMac display is set to 2560x1440 if that helps.

I figure I can have an Applescript (as an application) open when I login easily enough.

Any ideas about such a script?

Reaction score
A suggestion, download and install XtraFinder. It has a keyboard shortcut for just that, either vertical or horizontal.
Set it how you want. Restart and command-u opens 2 Finder windows. Only downside, it will use the entire screen.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Thanks cradom, but no, I don't think that is what I want. I would prefer not adding more apps (Apple or third-party) to the iMac. (I realize that adding a script sounds like adding something else, but it is Mac native, if that makes sense.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks cradom, but no, I don't think that is what I want. I would prefer not adding more apps (Apple or third-party) to the iMac. (I realize that adding a script sounds like adding something else, but it is Mac native, if that makes sense.)

Try this:
An AppleScript to create dual Finder windows - Mac OS X Hints

EDIT: If that doesn't work for you, then you may be relegated to 3rd party software. Rather than using a Finder hack, consider a 3rd party app that does side-by-side panes in a window, like an FTP client. Instead of connecting to an FTP server in one pane, just have it show another folder on your Mac.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lifeisabeach: Ok and thank you again. I'll try that script.

BG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
For myself, I've been using TotalFinder for dual window operations - has worked fine; BUT Mavericks is to be released this fall and will have similar functions - see quote below from HERE - probably what you need? Dave :)

OS X Mavericks Finder

Other features making an appearance in the latest version of OS X include the Mac OS 9-style Finder Tabs. This positions a plus symbol to the top right of Finder that allows new tabs to be opened or dragged into other positions, with similar behaviour to a web browser. Users can customise views for individual tabs, move files between tabs, and run the Finder with multiple tabs open in full-screen.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For myself, I've been using TotalFinder for dual window operations - has worked fine; BUT Mavericks is to be released this fall and will have similar functions - see quote below from HERE - probably what you need? Dave :)

Perhaps, but I'd have to see that feature first before I can say that it us useful for me. As it stands right now, the release date for Mavericks is fall '13? That is just about here,

Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

BG

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I cooked up with Applescript, saved as an application that is in the startup part of my profile.

I would rather use percentages of display size so that this will work no matter the display size. I haven't figured out that process to date.

The (very minor) issue I have is that Window 1's left-side border is not at zero, but a number of pixels to the right of it. My display is set at 2560x1440. the -7 and +7 are to put a space between the two windows in the center of my display.

--Function: Replaces all Finder windows with dual-windows side-by-side
--
tell application "Finder"
activate
set var_WindowsQuant to (count of (every window where visible is true))
if var_WindowsQuant is greater than 0 then
close every Finder window
end if
-- LEFTHAND WINDOW
make new Finder window
set bounds of window 1 to {0, 44, ((2560 / 2) - 7), 1352}
-- RIGHTHAND WINDOW
make new Finder window
set bounds of window 2 to {((2560 / 2) + 7), 44, 2560, 1352}
set target of window 2 to startup disk
end tell

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.