Finder crashes at start up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
Hi everyone,
My MacBook Pro (10.7.5) very often crashes just after having started. Once it passes the login window, the desktop appears normally but I can't launch any application, or activate the wifi for example. If I draw the mouse to the dock, the dock would expand but nothing happens when I click on an application icon. At this stage, I can still navigate on the desktop, move windows, etc, but soon after it freezes completely and the only thing left for me to do is a manual power cycle. Usually at the second start, everything is back to normal. I did run several "repair disk" in Disk Utility but there is nothing to repair apparently. This doesn't look good to me :Angry: I bought it in December 2011 in Belgium, so might still be under warranty. Any advice?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless of what Disk Utility told you about repairs, it sounds like the hard drive is failing. The only real test of a hard drive is to download and run the SMART utility. Also, your machine is still under warranty if you bought Apple care. (3 years with Apple Care). I would take it to the closest Apple store or authorized Apple repair service and have them check the hard drive with their diagnostic software.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
Thanks for your answer. I did download and run SMART Utility as advised and it didn't find any problem (see attached).
I called Apple and although I don't have the 3-year protection plan, the person was kind enough to help me over the phone. She made me repair the authorizations after starting the laptop using Cmd+R; reset the PRAM and create a another user account to see whether the problem was linked to a specific account. Not sure whether this will help, but I'll see in the next few days.

20130910.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.