• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

2013 iMac Refresh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
Hey guys

Anyone heard anything yet about a possible refresh of the 2012 slim iMac for 2013? with better specs etc etc? you guys know the usual apple drill

Wanting to buy a new iMac at the end of the month (pay day) but i always seem to buy one JUST before they update the specs lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait until Tuesday and find out for sure I guess.

Yeh i guess BUT i swear they dont normally really touch on spec refreshing, only really push it if its a redesign :) fingers crossed anyways

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The "smart" money has Tuesday's Apple event being primarily about new iPhones. Even most of the rumor articles circulating at the moment do not predict any announcements regarding new iMac models.

But you never know with Apple. Sometimes they VERY quietly slip in a mention of new computer models at these events...or make no mention at all at the event...and new models just "appear" at the Apple Store!;)

No doubt...new iMac models are due soon...but when is anyone's guess.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeh lol it'll be about a week after i spend £3000 on a new one hahaha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeh lol it'll be about a week after i spend £3000 on a new one hahaha

We of course see lots & lots & lots of threads from folks looking to purchase a new computer. And of course no one wants to purchase a new computer (big bucks)...then just days or weeks later Apple releases new models. Which sometimes may be more powerful, have brand new features, AND cost less than the computer they just purchased!

So of course we would LOVE to be able to say/know when Apple is going to release new models...but Apple has ALWAYS been VERY tight-lipped when it comes to these announcements.

The some ways to avoid "buyer's remorse" in this sort of situation is:

- Purchase a refurbished computer from the Apple Store. Since at least in this case...the buyer saves a few hundred $$$/£££ on the purchase vs. new.
- Purchase a used Macintosh computer better than they already have (and save some good money).
- "Sit" on the cash until new models are actually released...and available (since new models may not always be available in all countries immediately after a new model announcement).

Of course sometimes everyone cannot wait weeks or months for new models to come out...then you just got to "roll the dice"!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think a new iMac on the horizon. The current model was announced late 2012 and only became available early this year. Normally iMac models seem to run for about 18 months or so,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Unless they put the DVD drive back I am unlikely ever to buy another iMac (nor another MacMini - although the lack of proper graphics card rules those out anyway).

Not very likely of course :(

Reaction score
Unless they put the DVD drive back I am unlikely ever to buy another iMac (nor another MacMini - although the lack of proper graphics card rules those out anyway).

Not very likely of course :(

A lack of DVD drive put me off buying a retina so i got a normal macbook pro. And i have since used the dvd drive maybe twice in a year. Wish i had just got the retina now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A lack of DVD drive put me off buying a retina so i got a normal macbook pro. And i have since used the dvd drive maybe twice in a year. Wish i had just got the retina now.
The retina isn't user upgradeable and you got a better spec'd machine (aside from the display). I wouldn't be too dismayed since you probably got the better machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. Fully agree; in my opinion you purchased the better machine. Maybe my eyes are old but I really see no special difference between the retina display and the standard one used by Apple. At least not enough to warrant the higher price and a machine that is not upgradeable.

Reaction score
The retina isn't user upgradeable and you got a better spec'd machine (aside from the display). I wouldn't be too dismayed since you probably got the better machine.

You are probably correct. But I still do like that display when i see it. Not that this display is exactly bad mind.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True, there is little doubt that the retina has a better display (this is, after all, the selling point). I'm going to guess though that, like chscag suggested, the display is not going to be tremendously better unless you have a discerning eye. To each their own though (the joys of choice).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The day of the DVD optical drive is behind us with thumb drives cheaper, faster and hold much more. Same thing happened when the original iMac did away with the floppy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add to what Harry mentioned. If someone REALLY needed the occasional/rare need of an optical drive...external USB optical drives can be purchased relatively inexpensively.

No need to eliminate a newer iMac purchase (which may have some cool new features, abilities, and performance)...that doesn't have a built-in optical drive...when external optical drive options are easily & inexpensively available.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
To add to what Harry mentioned. If someone REALLY needed the occasional/rare need of an optical drive...external USB optical drives can be purchased relatively inexpensively.

No need to eliminate a newer iMac purchase (which may have some cool new features, abilities, and performance)...that doesn't have a built-in optical drive...when external optical drive options are easily & inexpensively available.:)

- Nick

Exactly and despite that having been my mind set in the past. I no longer understand it.

C

chas_m

To date I have NEVER EVER burned an optical disc anywhere but my home, despite owning a portable Mac since at least 2006.

On the increasingly-rare occasions I need to burn one anymore, the $40 one I bought six years ago -- sitting in a $25 Firewire 400 case -- does the job. Unlike the slot-loading drive in my MBP, the tray-loading external a) isn't prone to finicky failure, b) can read all sizes of CDs/DVDs with the help of a 3" adapter, and c) would cost a pittance to replace if I ever needed to do so (have occasionally thought of replacing it with a Blu-ray now that its possible to get Blu-ray viewing and burning software).

Thus far, the external burner has outlasted two (and working on three) Macs. So someone telling me the lack of an internal optical drive in a Mac is a dealbreaker -- when one of OWC's hottest-selling kits is the one that lets you REPLACE the optical drive with a bay for an SSD drive -- just makes me chuckle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.