How good are the ear pods from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I am looking at some ear pods from Apple for my non-Apple product (a phone). I know some of the features will be incompatible, but I am wondering about the sound quality. They are $30. Also, is this safe to by from Walmart, or should I stick to the Apple store?
Both are nearby.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple ear pods are good but not great. There are much better ones available but depends on how much you wish to spend. As far as buying from Wal-mart or Apple, I would buy from Wal-mart simply because returns are easier there. Not that Apple would give you a hard time when returning them but because the Apple stores are always crowded and will take longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
They are better than the originals but if your serious about music consider Shure and Ultimate Ears.

C

chas_m

As someone who works in radio ...

The $30 Ear Pods are, in my opinion, as good as any $100 earbuds I've found. They're not as good as good $200+ earbuds.

PS. Beats are junk.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Well then, I should be happy with those. My current earbuds cost a $1 (truthfully) which I bought from a dollar store. They are identical to those that the airlines supply. I find them to be adequate, so the offerings from Apple will be like being in a concert hall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The Ear Pods are OK, then the $100 Ear Buds from Apple are a little better, but doing some testing, they arent worth $70 more than the Ear Pods. I recently bought myself a pair of House of Marley in ear EarBuds ZION™ with a extra 20cm length on the cord and THEY are like being in a concert hall. I have heards sounds, and instruments i have never heard before using these on my iPhone 5.
Its because of these that i say the Apple $30 are as good as the $100 ones, and neither of them, come anywhere near these ZION™ Earbuds. And these only cost me $129 and they knock Dr Dre's out of the park . . . .

DPVMaKT.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hi, Triple dot!

I upgraded to the newer Apple earbuds over the standard ones that came with my iPhone 4S, and overall, am happier with them. They are more comfortable, for sure, the sound may be a tad better than the originals, but I do have one 'whine' about them.

They fall out fairly easily.

If you are seated, no problem. If you are up and about, or riding a bicycle or fast walking or anything that may produce a light sweat, they (or at least mine) have a tendency to work their way out of your canal.

YMMV, of course, but I can assure you they will be a definite upgrade to your dollar store earbuds! :)

Cheers!

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They fall out fairly easily.
This times 1000. I've resorted to using them in opposite ears (right pod in the left and vice versa). I don't know whose ears they tested them on but it wasn't mine. ;)

They have a peculiar shape so you may want to see if you can test them out before you buy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vansmith!

LOL. we meet again! ;-)

I never thought of switching ears with the "newer" Apple earbuds but I'll give it a try the next time I use them! It's so rare I use them that I am not even sure where they are now :)

Cheers!

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It gets a bit uncomfortable after a while but the fit is much better for my ears. It doesn't hurt to try it.
LOL. we meet again! ;-)
As an admin, I'm all over the place all the time. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well darn it, I want them for bike riding and hiking, so maybe they aren't for me, then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Triple Dot...

If you have an Apple store close by, by all means go there and maybe they'll let you try them on. If not, they have always been good at taking things back within 30 days if you don't like them.

They don't come with different sized 'pads' for the buds like many others out there. They ARE comfortable...much more than the originals that were downright painful to me in about 30 minutes.

Your ear canal may be a tad wider than mine and these buds may fit you just fine. I see guys out on the paths and trails (biking) with them in all the time and they don't seem to have a problem with them.

I like the ones recommended above, the Marley ones, but they are outside my budget. And when I ride the streets around here north of ATL, I never listen to anything but the traffic. Listening to music with unconscious idiots speeding around you in 3 ton vehicles putting on makeup, texting, reading, eating, reloading the bong...you are nuts to listen to anything but what's going on around you, IMHO.. :)

Cheers!

Pat

C

chas_m

I use my EarPods for walking around downtown all the time (when I'm not using Bluetooth ones) and have never had them fall out, even when walking vigorously. My wife, OTOH, seems to have trouble with them (but that's because she doesn't really put them in properly).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm no audiophile, but was disappointed in the ear buds that came with my iPhone 5. I believe these are the same as what you're referring to. To describe them as muddy and indistinct is an understatement in my view.

That said, I did receive a set of these:

f08 Hi Fi Stereo Earbuds

... as a freebie after I bought a new shell/case for my MacBook Pro. They are, quite frankly, the best ear buds I have ever listened to. I'm not usually one for in-ear-canal buds, but these fit me just perfectly and are almost transparent once they're in. No fatigue after wearing them for several hours straight, and they also stay in on the treadmill. I would gladly pay good money for a second set should these fail in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That said, I did receive a set of these:

f08 Hi Fi Stereo Earbuds

... as a freebie after I bought a new shell/case for my MacBook Pro. They are, quite frankly, the best ear buds I have ever listened to. I'm not usually one for in-ear-canal buds, but these fit me just perfectly and are almost transparent once they're in. No fatigue after wearing them for several hours straight, and they also stay in on the treadmill. I would gladly pay good money for a second set should these fail in the future.

For $24 you got a deal being free, but just shows you dont need to pay the world for good listening.
As i said above about my ZION™ Marley ones, yes i paid good $ for them, but the noise cancelling is excellent, i mean EXCELLENT and i have heard sounds and insrtuments in songs, i never knew where there before. If i ever buy again, ill by from The House of Marley first because they are GREAT listening, and 2nd they are environmentally (Green) made

C

chas_m

I'm no audiophile, but was disappointed in the ear buds that came with my iPhone 5. I believe these are the same as what you're referring to.

Probably not. The EarPods look like this:

4TmJhaTc8_o.jpg

Standard Apple earbuds look like this:

21cASovQDJL._SX300_.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And In-Ear earphone's like this and they are crap, with not bad mids and lows, but NO bass what so ever. I preferred the $39 EarPods over these $99 crap

38lVF3D.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Probably not. The EarPods look like this:

4TmJhaTc8_o.jpg

Standard Apple earbuds look like this:

21cASovQDJL._SX300_.jpg

The EarPods are what I was referring to then... that is what comes with the iPhone 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Notice the new Earpods have 2 ports on them guys over at Head-Fi have used tape over one port or the other to change its port tune some like this some not but if you find the bass not tight enough blocking one port will change the characteristic of the bottom octave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.