iTunes library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
I have my iTunes library set to an external hard drive, something like HD/iTunes/iTunes Media. Within the iTunes Media folder there is TV, Movies, Music, etc. When I download, it does not distinguish between movies, tv, music, etc - it just puts the whatever it is in its own folder directly in the iTunes Media folder. I'm sure I used to have it putting music in music, Movies in movies, etc.

Any help?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The metadata tags need to include the media type (music, movie, TV etc).

In my experience all iTunes store bought stuff includes this metadata. If you are sourcing from other online stores this may no be the case and will result in the placement you're seeing.

You can add the data manually though.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange - they are mostly downloads from iTunes and don't seem to make it into the right folder. These are folders I set up on the external HD, not the ones created on the Mac when iTunes is installed - don't know if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Strange - they are mostly downloads from iTunes and don't seem to make it into the right folder. These are folders I set up on the external HD, not the ones created on the Mac when iTunes is installed - don't know if that makes a difference.

You set them up?

So long as they are in the structure iTunes is expecting they will work. If they aren't in the right structure/layout them iTunes can't know where a particular folder is.

It's fine that they are on an external. But just check that your library path in Preferences matches the actual location ok.

Once done it may be worth doing a re-organise:
In iTunes - File - Library - Organize Library - Reorganize files in the folder ‘iTunes Media.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I set up up to mirror the file structure that iTunes set up on my laptop, but doesn't seem to like it. I did try the 'keep itunes media folder organized', but it ended up moving music around - splitting some albums between two folders. I am assuming the 'organize library' would do the same/similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone's different but in my experience it's best to let iTunes just get on with the organisation of your folders. For me I don't care how it does it. My whole interface with my music and video is via iTunes. If it wants to put them all in one big folder called Fred, so be it. But I do appreciate some people don't want that for a variety of reasons.

For info, organize library moves everything to it's appropriate folder by content type. This is mainly where a previous version of iTunes had the TV and movies content within the music folder. Whereas now they reside in separate folders

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.