backing up to external hard drive

Reaction score
I bought an external hard drive to back up my MacBook files. I have set the energy tabs to never turn off, but no matter what I do, after about 1/2 hour the computer shuts down and the backup fails. In fact, the last backup I was able to complete was February, 2012. How do I stop the computer from shutting down before the backup is complete? evidently it wll take 10-14 hours to complete.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I bought an external hard drive to back up my MacBook files. I have set the energy tabs to never turn off, but no matter what I do, after about 1/2 hour the computer shuts down and the backup fails. In fact, the last backup I was able to complete was February, 2012. How do I stop the computer from shutting down before the backup is complete? evidently it wll take 10-14 hours to complete.

Need to know a little more about your situation

1) MacBook Specs to include model and OS version
2) Backup method (are you using Time Macine for example)
3) Make and type of External HD

Just to make sure, do you have your laptop connected to the Power Supply while trying to backup?

OP
H
Reaction score
My computer is a MacBook 2,1 using OS 10.6.8. The backup devise is a Fantom Drive GF1000EU, one terabyte. It seems to be working fine. It's the computer that is shutting down. If I sit at the computer and wiggle the mouse, or use the computer continually, the backup will continue, and the blue "progress bar" spins, showing its working OK. However, if I leave the room for any reason and don't come back for a short while the computer has gone to sleep/off, and I have to reboot it. Any progress towards the backup is lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac.
Try going to System Preferences, Energy Saver and Uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My computer is a MacBook 2,1 using OS 10.6.8. The backup devise is a Fantom Drive GF1000EU, one terabyte. It seems to be working fine. It's the computer that is shutting down. If I sit at the computer and wiggle the mouse, or use the computer continually, the backup will continue, and the blue "progress bar" spins, showing its working OK. However, if I leave the room for any reason and don't come back for a short while the computer has gone to sleep/off, and I have to reboot it. Any progress towards the backup is lost.

What are you using to back it up?

1) Time Machine
2) Carbon Copy Cloner
3) Super Duper
4) Other

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.