MBP A1226 won't power on

Reaction score
Fixing a MacBook Pro A1226 that was replaced/repaired under warranty a year ago for the (big surprise) NVidia GPU failure. It's been working flawlessly, aside from getting really hot. I replaced the thermal compound several months ago and more recently helped the owner upgrade his RAM.
About a week ago, it decided not to turn on. I managed to get it working again after applying pressure on the keyboard, thinking the cable might have come loose. Eventually it started and was working fairly consistently, but a few days later he called me back and couldn't get it to start again. I removed the top case and inspected for loose cables, but everything looks clean and kosher. It doesn't even give me a blinking power LED to indicat error, but the power adapter LED goes on and off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What can happen is the SATA cable with heat and over time becomes brittle. Removing the drive can cause fractures which results in very spasmodic operation.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
What can happen is the SATA cable with heat and over time becomes brittle. Removing the drive can cause fractures which results in very spasmodic operation.
I doubt it's the SATA cable, otherwise it might freeze or crash but everything works just fine...until it's powered off and then it's a brick and doesn't want to start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.