problems connecting to the internet

Reaction score
Using Mac os x 10.5.8 without airport. Spent the summer connecting to the internet via Verizon wifi router. They have changed the router once. Had a massive thunderstorm at thr beginning of the week and after the router wastn't working. Called verizon and got the wifi working but the Mac is now not getting a dial tone...what am I doing wrong. I'm an old lady so make it simple, please....Cathy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Kathy thunderstorms can be fatal to routers particularly if the router was left powered and plugged in to the phone line. If you are using broadband you do not get the dial tone, only with slow old dial up. Your ISP will be able to advise if the see the router connecting. Also provide information on a replacement router.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Using Mac os x 10.5.8 without airport.

So, if the wifi is working, then the router is working, right?

I think that we need to clear something up first. "Airport" is Apple's brand name for their Wireless technology. Most Apple computers that are WiFi capable...have an "Airport" card inside of them to send/receive data wirelessly.

Apple also sells "Airport" devices that do the same thing as your Verizon WiFi router called:

- Airport Extreme
- Airport Time Capsule
- Airport Express

In post #1 you said that you're "Using Mac os x 10.5.8 without airport."

So my question to you is...do you or don't you have a cable running from your computer to your Verizon WiFi router?

- If you don't have a cable between your computer & router...then you ARE using Airport...which again is Apple's brand name for it's wireless technology...because you have an "Airport card" inside of the computer.

- If you do have a cable that goes from your computer to your Verizon WiFi router...then you are correct...you are not usng "Airport".

Once we get this sorted out...we can talk about your router.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If the wifi is working it is possible the router is not. I have had two situations where the wifi - which is the wireless signal in your building - was being seen by the computer and the computer showed a connection but when a browser window was opened no web pages were available. But it requires a bit of troubleshooting to determine what is the problem.

Unfortunately, there are several things that could be wrong and I would suggest calling verizon and asking for tech support. I have found there is a 50/50 chance of getting someone who really knows what they are doing but ultimately they are responsible. If you know someone who understands networking they may be able to help you.

C

chas_m

Cathy: good, we're getting somewhere now. And the Airport icon in your menubar is turned off ("Airport: Off") or disabled (greyed out)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I use a cable from the router to the Mac

Thanks for confirming that. This reason why I was asking was...in your post above you said:

So, if the wifi is working, then the router is working, right?

How do you know that the WiFi on your Verizon router is working...if you're not using the WiFi (unless you're using the WiFi on another device other than your Mac)?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
connecting to the internet

ANother round with verizon, no results, want me to contact apple

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Mac os x 10.5.8 without airport. Spent the summer connecting to the internet via Verizon wifi router. They have changed the router once. Had a massive thunderstorm at thr beginning of the week and after the router wastn't working. Called verizon and got the wifi working but the Mac is now not getting a dial tone...what am I doing wrong. I'm an old lady so make it simple, please....Cathy

Cathy. Thanks again for the info. :)

I was rereading your original/1st post in this thread...and you mentioned that the problems started after the thunderstorm you had. Just curious...did your home lose power during the storm? Thunderstorms can certainly reek havoc with electronic equipment.

You mentioned that you are using a "Nook". Is the WiFi from your Verizon router working ok with the Nook?

You also mentioned "dial tone". I'm pretty sure if you have internet service from Verizon...that you're not using "dial up" to access the internet. If this was the case...you would also need to use "dial-up" for internet access from your Nook...and I'm pretty darn sure Nook's are not capable of dial-up.

"Dial-up" is a pretty old method of connecting to the internet...and I know some folks still do this...but very very few. What you probably have with Verizon is a "DSL" connection...which is not "dial-up". All this doesn't really matter...just trying to get the "phraseology" correct.:)

In any case...it is certainly possible that the thunderstorm you had may have partially damaged your Verizon router. Maybe the routers WiFi is working fine (thus your Nook is working fine)...but maybe the router got damaged in regards to the "wired" internet connection (the connection to your Mac).

Can you tell us what Macintosh computer model you have (and/or how old it is)? And can you tell us if it has an Airport card installed in it internally?

I know this may be a lot to deal with. But I have to ask questions to better understand what you are dealing with.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, this nook is getting wifi ok. No, I don't have airpot (didn't know what it was so declined it) this mac os x 10.5.8 bought in 2005

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, this nook is getting wifi ok. No, I don't have airpot (didn't know what it was so declined it) this mac os x 10.5.8 bought in 2005

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.