2012 iMac Superdrive Replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
Hi guys!

At the end of the month (or maybe longer depending on any new of future spec updates to the 2012 iMac) i will be buying a new iMac, my dad asked me if he could have my current iMac (mid 2011 21.5") when i get the new one, this wasn't i problem until yesterday when i seriously my superdrive (long story dont ask... just trust me its broken)

to put it simply i was just wondering if anyone had any sort of idea how much it would cost if i sent it to be replaced by Apple? or failing that im more than competent enough to replace myself (ive built many pcs in the past and i have watched videos online about the superdrive replacement, so i know what i have to do) its just trying to search onine for a replacement parts i have found that different sites say i need different superdrives and the prive varies from like £200 to £30 for a superdrive so im really confused as of who to trust and where to get one from

any help welcome

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can get you a URL to a replacement superdrive and even take apart instructions if you feel you can do it. The hardest part with your iMac is taking off the front glass without braking it. You just need suction cups that OWC sells. You will spend 2x with Apple having them replace the drive. I will find the URLs and post them here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...this wasn't i problem until yesterday when i seriously my superdrive (long story dont ask... just trust me its broken)

to put it simply i was just wondering if anyone had any sort of idea how much it would cost if i sent it to be replaced by Apple? or failing that im more than competent enough to replace myself (ive built many pcs in the past and i have watched videos online about the superdrive replacement, so i know what i have to do) its just trying to search onine for a replacement parts i have found that different sites say i need different superdrives and the prive varies from like £200 to £30 for a superdrive so im really confused as of who to trust and where to get one from

dtravis7 gave you lots of great info...and I definitely agree...having Apple do the replacement will probably be pretty darn expensive.

If you decide that replacing the internal optical drive is something you would rather not do...a perfectly acceptable alternative would be to simply purchase an external USB optical drive:

OWC VLU2SD24XS External 24X DVD DL USB 2.0... in stock at OWC

The external optical drive is even less expensive @ $49.99.:) The external optical drive may not be as attractive...but then how often do any of use use our optical drives these days. And with the external...you can always unplug it when not using it...and store away somewhere else.

But if you prefer having the internal optical drive operational...go for it!:)

- Nick

p.s. Since you mentioned currency in £££'s...I'm assuming you are in the UK. The OWC link may not be the best alternative from a cost perspective. But this gives you the idea to possibly shop locally for a low cost external optical drive.:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies, Nick i wouldnt actually care about the drive BUT it makes continuous noise as the lens seems to want to adjust itself all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A good UK source for suction cups is Maplin, they sell a mini suction cup dent puller made by Rolson for under £4, P/N 219990. You only need one, attach it to the left top corner of the glass, pull the corner away, slide your fingers behind sliding to the right to release the top edge. Then pull away and lift out releasing the bottom clips.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies, Nick i wouldnt actually care about the drive BUT it makes continuous noise as the lens seems to want to adjust itself all the time

Are you saying it does this even with no disk in the drive?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's

Then all you need to do is open up the iMac, remove the power/data connector from the back of the drive and it will bother you no more. Don't remove the optical drive, otherwise the fans will run flat out as the temperature sensor won't be connected. If you need an optical drive for anything buy a samsung external USB drive for just over £20.00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And a drive such as a Samsung SE 208 with a USB 'Y' cable will work plugged into a USB hub and no mains powered. Use one on my iMac and works great.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Nick even with no disk in the drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Can't you just jam something in the slot to fatally kill it?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacing Superdrive mid 2011 21.5" iMac

Hey everyone!

i Have a 21.5" mid 2011 iMac 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 (Model Identifier:iMac12,1) i seriously broke the Superdrive in it, very long story, no need to bore you with the details, but its broken. i am aware that i can just buy a third party dvd drive for pretty cheap etc etc however, if/when the new slimline iMac gets a spec refresh in the coming months i will be upgrading to a top spec 27" iMac, my Dad asked if he could have my old iMac to use for his accounts etc etc and he will require to Bootcamp it, as my 21.5" comes with a internal Superdrive there is no way to boot from a USB drive or a USB dvd drive so he will NEED me to replace the Superdrive (something i have no problem doing, i've built many PCs in the past and have the correct tools and have watched videos on how to open the iMac and replace my Superdrive)

My trouble is finding the right Superdrive for my iMac, i have spent a few evenings looking around on the web and i have found that different sites say different Superdrives and the price difference on websites is anywhere from £30-£250 so im a little confused as whats too much and whats too little as far as price goes, another problem i have found is certain sites wont ship to England. Im hoping someone in here can point me in the right place to buy the correct Superdrive etc etc

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged. No need to start a 2nd thread for the exact same topic. Thanks for understanding.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My trouble is finding the right Superdrive for my iMac, i have spent a few evenings looking around on the web and i have found that different sites say different Superdrives and the price difference on websites is anywhere from £30-£250 so im a little confused as whats too much and whats too little as far as price goes, another problem i have found is certain sites wont ship to England. Im hoping someone in here can point me in the right place to buy the correct Superdrive etc etc

Here are two websites to help you identify the correct superdrive:

- Powerbookmedic
- iFixit

Since your are in the UK...these may or may not be the best from the shipping side of things...but maybe they will help identify the correct replacement drive.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unfortunately neither of those sites could help me

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i seriously cant find anywhere that sells them :/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sure I gave you a URL to OWC. They have the superdrives. I know that for sure as I just got one not long ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.