Weird graphics and icon thumbnails not showing

Reaction score
Hello all,

After my computer went to sleep, I put it back with the touch of a button. What was revealed was white grainy graphics covering parts of the screen (see screenshot). When I restarted my machine, there are still icon thumbnails not showing - but the grainy graphics are gone.

Is this an hardware failure or is there something I could do with the software to fix it?

- Sigurd

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 1.57.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 1.57.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 1.52.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 3.53.09 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Midget be a temporary glitch

Have you run a permissions repair using disk utility (or use Onyx to run some maintenance tasks to clear up the machine)

One version of OSX are you using (running the latest combo OSX update from Apple will often refresh a system that is having trouble)

OP
S
Reaction score
I did the OSX update, and the problem apparently disappeared only to reappear after the computer went to sleep again. I turned off the computer sleep function last night and I didn't get the white graphics again now, but still the thumbnails are missing.

I will try permissions repair and Onyx - and update you after.

Thanks, louishen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did everything in Onyx and also the apple disk repair, still the same with icons not showing in Safari, Finder and the upper panel bar to the right. Very peculiar. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends. Who knows what model and operating system? if it is a MacBook perhaps the graphics card has failed.

Reaction score
quick workaround

boot into safe mode and restart. this is only temporary though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If this continues after using the combo updater as suggested back she goes. The combo update is different to the normal Software Update:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

OP
S
Reaction score
Was in touch with Apple and they recommended the safe boot too. It worked. But if I let the computer go to sleep over a long time, the problem returns. My temporary fix has been to turn off the sleep function, and seemingly that works. Harry: I did reinstall the os.

Should I ignore the problem or pursue to have it fixed? Possible HW fault?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.