Import Bookmarks

Reaction score
On my mac mini (10.6.8) I have been using Firefox as my default browser. I now wish to make Safari my default browser. I wish to import all of my many bookmarks into Safari. I have tried: File > Import Bookmarks. In the list of applications that is then listed, Firefox is grayed out and I can not select it as the source. What should I do to import my bookmarks from Firefox to Safari?

C

chas_m

The mistake you are making is trying to import Firefox (the app) not its bookmarks.

Firefox stores its bookmarks in /Users/<YOUR NAME>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile>/bookmarks.html

Tell Safari to import THIS file (you can copy it out to the desktop to make this process easier) instead of the app and I'll bet everything will work great.

I can't remember now if Snow Leopard (the OS you are using) hides the User Library or if that started with Lion. If you can't find it let me know and I'll explain how to get there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you, chas_m. I got as far as /Profiles/ and I guess I don't know what is meant by "<profile>." Under Profile, there was only one entry and it was not an html file. It was a folder called "0bnebf90.default" and under that there was a folder called Bookmarkbackups. Under that there were lots of files, but they all had an extension of "json" not html.

C

chas_m

Thank you, chas_m. I got as far as /Profiles/ and I guess I don't know what is meant by "<profile>." Under Profile, there was only one entry and it was not an html file. It was a folder called "0bnebf90.default" and under that there was a folder called Bookmarkbackups. Under that there were lots of files, but they all had an extension of "json" not html.

<profile> was my shorthand for "whatever your profile file is called."

In your case, it's called 0bnebf90, and in addition to the "bookmark backups" folder you saw there should be a "bookmarks.html" file as well. And other stuff not relevant to this.

If you don't see that, let me know what version of Firefox you are using, perhaps they've changed methods (I'm using the latest version).

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be such a bother, but I have been through that 0bnebf90 folder about 4 times and all of its subfolders. I can find neither "bookmarks" or "html." Firefox says it is version 23.0.1 which I think is the latest.

It just occurred to me to use the finder to search for bookmarks.html. It appears that there is no such file on this machine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Many thanks to you bobtomay; that was easy enough.

Where in Texas? I grew up in Dallas, went to school in Austin and now live in Aladamnbama.

C

chas_m

Thanks Tom -- I was wondering why I couldn't find an "export bookmarks" in FF ...

OP
D
Reaction score
My thanks to you too, chas_m. I appreciate your kind patient assistance last night. I learned a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.