Cant get certain websites to load

Reaction score
Im stumped...All of a sudden I can no longer access websites like yahoo, netflix, Facebook, and youtube on both Safari and Firefox. Also, my google search toolbar isnt working. Im using a mac with osx 10.5.8. Other websites like hulu work just fine. Ive tried deleting all cookies, reseting safari, deleting history, to no avail. Please help! Thanks for your time.

C

chas_m

Downloaded anything dodgy lately?

Also, while I doubt this is the actual issue, you are WAY past needing to update that Safari and OS (and probably FF). If you have an Intel Mac, I'd *strongly* recommend ordering a 10.6 DVD from Apple ($20) and upgrading to that asap before they finally stop offering it, which could happen quite soon.

OP
T
Reaction score
I havent downloaded anything in a while...Dodgey or otherwise...
This is on an old desktop that we keep in our room for pretty much strictly watching movies on netflix, hulu, etc..
Could it be a silverlight issue?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No because an issue with Silverlight would only affect the elements on those pages that use it, not the whole page itself.

You'll need to be a little more specific. You can't access those pages how? Does anything load? Does it error out? As for the search bar, it doesn't work how?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies...

When I try to load certain pages (yahoo, netflix, youtube) It will not load the pages for literally 15 minutes. If I load another page (like hulu, etc) it will pop right up. When I try to load netflix, sometimes it wont load at all, and sometimes an HTTP 503 error pops up. However I am able to access netflix with every other computer / device in the house.
As for the google search bar in the top right corner, no search will load no matter what I search for. It will try for like 15 minutes and sometimes it wont load at all, other times it will load after 15 minutes.
This problem has literally just popped up out of nowhere. If it is not a silverlight issue, is it possible that there has been adobe flash update that I am unable to obtain because of my out of date operating system? Im not sure because as I said...Hulu works just fine.

Any advice is appreciated...Thanks again for your time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, Flash is similar to Silverlight in its consequences and operation here.

It might be worth exploring a different DNS setup if the lookup is the problem (which it sounds like it might be). Take a look at this page to setup OpenDNS on your machine. Give this a try and we can go from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.