Function key and fn + Delete

Reaction score
I am new, and overwhelmed. But here it is: can I set a function key to "Fn + Delete"?

Thanks,

Hans L

Reaction score
I don't think that would work because the Fn key is a toggle for the Function keys.
It toggles between what is printed on the key (dashboard, volume etc...) and regular function (cut, copy, paste, etc..).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved to more appropriate forum - please read the forum descriptions in the future.

Even if this was possible, it's probably not worth doing given that you'd lose any functionality made possible by using it as a modifier key.

OP
H
Reaction score
I don't think that would work because the Fn key is a toggle for the Function keys.
It toggles between what is printed on the key (dashboard, volume etc...) and regular function (cut, copy, paste, etc..).

I do not see the connection with reprogramming a Function key to "Fn + Delete" (which is Delete) and the fact that the Fn key is a toggle for the Function keys. But, as I said, I am new here.

Hans L

OP
H
Reaction score
Moved to more appropriate forum - please read the forum descriptions in the future.

Even if this was possible, it's probably not worth doing given that you'd lose any functionality made possible by using it as a modifier key.

Sorry that I posted in the wrong forum. Dare I ask where you moved it?

If what I asked was possible, it would be worth it to me. Calling the backspace function "Delete" is bs, and only defended by Apple apologists. The fact that it sometimes delete (when you highlight text and press Delete), makes things even worse. (By the way, highlighted text in the PC world is deleted whether you press the backspace key OR the delete key.)

So, any suggestions on how to reprogram a function key to become Delete (deleting characters to the right of the cursor)?

Thanks,

Hans L

M

MacInWin

CLIP... The fact that it sometimes delete (when you highlight text and press Delete), makes things even worse. ...CLIP
But that is exactly the same thing. When you select text and delete it, the cursor actually goes to the left, exactly as it does without anything selected. So the key is consistent. It may not be what you want, but it is consistent.

M

MacInWin

You might try this or this. I haven't tried either, but they claim to allow remapping of keys.

EDIT: Oh, and the post is here: OS X - Operating System

C

chas_m

The idea that you need two keys to do something as simple as backspace and delete is an idea only defended by Windows apologists who can't be bothered to open their minds a bit. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sorry that I posted in the wrong forum. Dare I ask where you moved it?
See the top of the page. ;)

Calling the backspace function "Delete" is bs, and only defended by Apple apologists.
The key deletes content so it does exactly what's advertised. Because it's called something different somewhere else doesn't make it wrong.

Regardless, there's no need to make this into a Windows/Mac debate discussion - they're tiring, utterly useless and unproductive. We all know how they end anyway.

OP
H
Reaction score
The idea that you need two keys to do something as simple as backspace and delete is an idea only defended by Windows apologists who can't be bothered to open their minds a bit. :)

Touche.

Hans L

OP
H
Reaction score

While I appreciate your getting-back-at-me "apologists" comment(seriously!), I do not agree with the "two keys" thing. If that would be a guide, copy/paste, page up/page down, home/end etc, etc, could be treated the same way (I am not sure that all of these keys are relevant for the Mac, because I have a very simple keyboard).

But, as vansmith said, we should not argue about whether mac or PC is better. That was originally not my intent; I just wanted to see if I could get some keys the way I want them.

Regards,

Hans L

OP
H
Reaction score
You might try this or this. I haven't tried either, but they claim to allow remapping of keys.

EDIT: Oh, and the post is here: OS X - Operating System

Thanks, MacInWin, I will try your suggestions. Thanks also for telling me where the post is; I think I clicked on the URL in my email notification, so I came to the right place without even knowing where it was :)

Hans L

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi HansL

I think that the Apple philosophy, if I may call it that, is that you can never permanently delete anything without carrying at least 2 actions. For example, cmd + backspace (2 keys) deletes to Trash. Even then, you must open Trash, hit the delete key and still you are asked "sure?".

This also applies to Apple apps, iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture. In each case, at least 2 actions are required to delete.

In fact, in iPhoto and Aperture, Delete moves the items into their own embedded Trash. To delete permanently, you have to right click on the iPhoto/Aperture Trash and delete. Even after all that, the items are moved to the main Desktop Trash and you have to go through the process again.

Tiresome to some, great safeguard to the many.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi HansL

I think that the Apple philosophy, if I may call it that, is that you can never permanently delete anything without carrying at least 2 actions. For example, cmd + backspace (2 keys) deletes to Trash. Even then, you must open Trash, hit the delete key and still you are asked "sure?".

This also applies to Apple apps, iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture. In each case, at least 2 actions are required to delete.

In fact, in iPhoto and Aperture, Delete moves the items into their own embedded Trash. To delete permanently, you have to right click on the iPhoto/Aperture Trash and delete. Even after all that, the items are moved to the main Desktop Trash and you have to go through the process again.

Tiresome to some, great safeguard to the many.

Ian

Thank, Ian.

That is what I am used to in the world of Windows too.

Hans L

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.