Are the Apple diagnostics fool proof re: hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I have a 14 month old iMac. Three days ago, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled the OS (reason: I had the grey screen of death) .Since, I've had a kernel panic, twice.
I ran the Apple diagnostics (found in Utilities) and everything is just wonderful. How reliable of a diagnostic tool is this?

Also, I have added 4Gs of OWC RAM (a year ago). Again, the RAM "appears to be OK."
So same question: HOw credible are these self tests?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is usually reliable for finding things like bad memory, hard drive problems, and sometimes other defective hardware. But it can't find everything which is why it's probably best to have Apple test using their diagnostics program if you're still having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Recovery and check out Repair Disk. Got AppleCare by any chance? Don't trust Hardware Test for hard drives prefer SMARTReporter by far.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I guess that's good news if it means the hardware is good. But it's also bad news because the computer is in fresh, pristine condition but this is happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple recalled certain hard drives in iMac machines from 2010 to 2012. I believe it was the Seagate 1 TB drives that were recalled. Which drive is in your iMac?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No such luck as it doesn't have the hard drive subject to the recall.

OH, and I am just coming out of the 3rd panic attack.

I pulled the OWC RAM incase that is the problem. I also disconnected the auxiliary audio I had (from an old Dell).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cannot repair the drive whilst you are booted from it. Hence using Recovery. How did you re-install whatever the operating system is which you have not shared with us?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All my computer info is on the left panel. At the time I had 10.8 (Mt. Lion), the "free" version, on top of 10.7, which what it is now (Lion).

I did an Internet rebuild of the OS courtesy of Apple. I suppose I was booted on a recovery partition which allowed me to access the 'Net. Not sure what happens when the HD is totally dead and how it would be possible to do a recovery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When in the Recovery partition that was the time to run Repair Disk. Similar to booting from an older system install disc to run Repair Disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.