Inadvertantly moved folder into Finder "Places"

Reaction score
Hi
Not sure how but I've moved a folder into the Finder window, first column (blue) under "Places" tab and nothing I try will move it back again. Click and drag, option click and drag, option shift click and drag, shout option shift swear... I've tried moving it into a folder under the same tab, in the same Finder column, dragging it to the desktop... nothing works... it won't budge. So easily and inadvertantly put there but impossible, it seems, to pull back.
It's a folder, by the way, of my most valued ongoing job - so losing it isn't an option! I can access the files within so no urgency but it can't stay where it is.
Thanks in advance!
T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You should be able to find that folder elsewhere. Having its icon in the Finder Sidebar is just a convenience for accessing it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi tobester

rcorph beat me to it so I can only say that the standard way of removing things from the sidebar is to hold down "cmd", and whilst continuing to hold "cmd", click on item and drag it out of the sidebar and it will disappear with a satisfying "whoosh" sound.

As toMAcash says, things in the sidebar should be thought of as aliases or shortcuts. The original source of the file or folder remains where it was.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.