Help! Deleted data can I retrieve it?

Reaction score
I am trying to back up certain files, mainly photos, and then delete them from my Mac to free up some space. I was pulling them from the seach tab not realizing that included all files on the computer even the data on my external hard drive. I've just deleted tons of photos and I am hoping one can some how retrieve items deleted from trash. Please help.

Very very sad idiot

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had an idea that's what you were doing - should have said something. All those images included all the icons and thumbnails used by all of your applications. I deleted that particular search "feature" as you get so many returns as to make it practically useless.

If they are all still in the trash, you can open the Trash in Finder - go to 'Edit' - 'Select All'
then right click (or command click) on them and select 'Put Back'

If you have emptied the trash, you're going to need to restore your system from a backup or reinstall everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.