new mac?

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old OSX desktop that developed problems with internet connection that I and some techs could never solve long term. I use it for basic stuff that any computer could handle. Should I just give up and buy a new one? Is it worth another try???

Any advice appreciated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a 5 year old OSX desktop that developed problems with internet connection that I and some techs could never solve long term. I use it for basic stuff that any computer could handle. Should I just give up and buy a new one? Is it worth another try???

Any advice appreciated?

You should probably tell us what the problem is first. I'm highly skeptical that whatever the problem is cannot be sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. New Airport Card if wifi.

2. If not new ethernet cable.

3. New modem/router.

OP
C
Reaction score
modem router and cable are all good. Wifi works in the house.

The problem is it just won't connect even with tech support from local IS provider.

I have always had trouble updating this computer (never done properly).

It tells me there is no airport card.

No antivirus software ever installed.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
modem router and cable are all good. Wifi works in the house.

The problem is it just won't connect even with tech support from local IS provider.

I have always had trouble updating this computer (never done properly).

It tells me there is no airport card.

No antivirus software ever installed.

Thanks for the help!

Then maybe it doesn't have an airport card? Which exact Mac do you have? Is it just by wifi that you cannot connect, or when wired also?

C

chas_m

If you're not going to tell us exactly what Mac you have, what the issue is that your having and what you've tried before with any specificity, we're all going to waste a lot of time trying to stab in the dark narrowing this down.

Please try to include as much salient info as you possibly can. Mac make, OS version, what System Info tells you about your wireless connectivity, the router make, the network security settings, whether it works when it's on Ethernet (ie directly connected), what you mean by "trouble updating," etc etc etc.

In short, help us to help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.