Backup Data from Read-Only SSD

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MacBook Air. The SSD is broken (I took it in to the Apple store to confirm this). When I start up the computer in single-user mode I can see the various files, so I have read-access. I tried mounting external hard drives and flash drives, however whenever I attempt to mount the drives I get an error message "unknown special file or file system".

Is it possible to transfer the data from the computer to one of my drives even though the desktop itself won't start up and the SSD is read-only (attempting to mount it for write access results in an error message which Apple said cannot be fixed)?

Thank you,
Noah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It sounds like you did not have an external drive as a backup prior to your troubles starting? Your best shot may be installing a new drive and the operating system, whatever it is you have not told us, popping the SSD into a caddy and see if you can access data that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.