Is this used Macbook Pro worth the price?

Reaction score
So, right now, I'm using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, 13" with a 2.9 processor and 8 gigs of ram.

The screen size is killing me. For what I use my laptop for it's very restricting, so I was looking into buying an older 17" model. The one I was looking into is from 2009. It comes with both a 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive as well as a 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core, and 8 gigs of ram. It has an anti glare screen as well. According to the seller the laptop is in wonderful condition. The total for the laptop is $1,200.

Is this worth the price, or should I keep looking?

C

chas_m

Why not just attach an external monitor to the laptop for use when you are home (or work, whatever)? Seems like a WAY cheaper option than the 17".

I don't know if the 17 is *worth* that much, but I can tell you I wouldn't pay $1,200 for nearly ANY computer from four years ago. Unless what you're doing is fairly basic in complexity (for example, writing), any computer near the END of its useful life cycle is not going to be a good investment for the future.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My initial response - $1200 for a 4 yr old notebook, for my money - unh unh - no - no way - not a gonna happen - no freaking way.

That's maybe just a tad on the high side in the world of used Macs - if you were buying it from a reputable Mac reseller that checks them out and offers a warranty. Should be cheaper from an individual. And if the battery hasn't been replaced yet, count on needing to do that sooner than later.

For a seller that paid $2500-$3000 for that computer plus upgrades, they probably feel like that's a big enough hit. For a buyer, it's just a losing bargain on a 4 yr old machine. Here's a company that buys and resells older Macs and their value of it - link.

I'd have to agree with chas - you can get a decent 24" monitor for $150-$250.
Dell's top of the line 24" ultrasharp is under $500.

If you need the larger monitor for traveling - at that point, it's really a matter of personal preference and whether that expenditure meets your budget and needs.
Buying from an individual, I'd be trying to get them down to $600-700.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According to the seller the laptop is in wonderful condition. The total for the laptop is $1,200.

Is this worth the price, or should I keep looking?

Not a good deal. If you can get the seller to go around $950...that would be a more fair price.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with a monitor. Now to find one of those!

Thank you all for being so helpful, I appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think I'm going to go with a monitor. Now to find one of those!

Definitely a great way to go & a less expensive solution. Your 2012 MacBook Pro has a faster cpu & faster graphics hardware than that 2009 MBP.

Finding a monitor is no problem at all. 22" monitors can be found for under $100...24" monitors not much more. If you want to save even more money...lots of fine monitors on Craig's List for even less.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.