E-mail Issues

Reaction score
Hi All --

I bought a used 21.5" 3.06 iMac running 10.8.2. I'm upgrading from a MDD G4 running 10.4.11 --

I'm using Mac Mail (working perfectly on the G4) with an "optonline.net" account from Optimum, and I'm trying to set it up on the iMac. I'm using the same settings on the iMac that work on the G4, and so far I can receive mail, but I can't send. I keep getting an error message that the address was rejected by the server. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Optimum, and they confirm all the settings & ports are correct, so they say the problem is on the Apple side. (I double-checked that everything is spelled correctly...)

Are there any known issues, or is there something I'm forgetting, to make the outgoing server accept the mail?

Thanks for any hints or tips...

-- mac705

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Make sure its the same port and check to see if its imap or pop some are not compatible since I am not familiar with your service thats about all I can add with the exception sometimes logging in on the web page
and then check mail works for Yahoo just not sure about yours.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi --

It's a POP account -- I went over the particulars with Optimum, and everything seemed to be correct -- ports, etc.

They also didn't raise any incompatibility flags when I told them I was using OS 10.8.2 --

...is there a place I can check on Apple's website to check compatibility with individual providers?

Thanks!

-- mac705

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
...is there a place I can check on Apple's website to check compatibility with individual providers?

Not that I know of. I can't imagine any ISP not being compatible with Mac Mail although I suppose that there are always one or two who use non standard ports or methods.

C

chas_m

It's not Apple. It's either human error (a bad setting) or a problem with your provider. In fact, given that email infrastructure is entirely independent of operating systems, it's actually IMPOSSIBLE for it to be Apple's fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried removing the account then re-add it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.