Storage Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hey Mac Forums,

I store all my music (iTunes Library) on an external HD. When I don't have it plugged in, simply my songs don't play. But, times I forget to plug in my drive when downloading music, it downloads to my macs HD. So now I have music on my mac that I could play without my external which uses up precious memory. Is there anyway where I could move those songs onto my external to free up some space? I'd like to do so without it removing all my songs that are already on my external drive or reformatting everything.

I ask this question because I just cleaned up my folders / files trying to free some space. I have a 250GB SSD and i'm wondering where all my memory went...I realistically use about 100-150GB, but I only have about 35GB free. IS there a way where I could view all the programs I don't use? Or figure out why I'm using up so much space? Are backups stored somewhere on the mac via time machine?

EDIT* Forgot to ask about deleting old backups on my external. I try to empty my trash when it's plugged in, but the old backup folders stay in my trash. It also prepares to empty trash for about an hour then takes a good 3 hours to delete all 400,000 files, and starts to say -negative deleting. How do i fix this issue?

I couldn't find this question about my music on the forum, so I went ahead and started a thread. Hopefully it's in the right place atleast! hah

Thanks!

_Gabe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Go to file - library - organise and all you music will be moved to the library location set in preferences (presumably that will be your external)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to file - library - organise and all you music will be moved to the library location set in preferences (presumably that will be your external)

Thanks, I tried that but unfortunately I cannot select "Reorganize files in the folder "iTunes Media".

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No that's no it. Which version of iTunes are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the delay.

It's the File - Library - Organize Library Consolidate files that you need to run

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the delay.

It's the File - Library - Organize Library Consolidate files that you need to run

AMAZING! It worked, sorry for the "extreme delay" i've been busy...Gave you a thanks though!

Have a good one

-Gabe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you it worked for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.