Hello, SchottOft new around

Reaction score
Hello all, Do you have any news regarding all these iphone5c/s rumors ? Where can i find some details.
I own a iphone 5, should i go for the new release ?

All the best.

C

chas_m

The answer to your first question depends on whether you want to read about speculation that might actually be true, or just read anybody's pulled-from-their-backside claims. Very different sites.

At this point I think it would probably be best to just wait. One week from today, September 10, we'll know the whole story (press invites went out today).

If this event runs anything like almost every previous one ever, about 60 percent of the rumours will be true and about 40 percent of them will be false. I personally think we'll get two iPhones, the 5S and 5C; the 5S will have a fingerprint sensor, new processor, 802.11ac and better camera but otherwise be basically the same as the 5.

The 5C will likely be available in an array of colours, and essentially be similar to the current iPhone 5, though there may be some omissions. I personally think the iPhone 4 and 4S will finally be retired, replaced by the 5, 5C and 5S. I also think we'll get the formal release of iOS 7 for all current* iOS device owners (iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up).

I don't think we'll get NFC, new iMacs, new Mac Pros or anything not directly iOS-related. We might get some news about things to come, however. Naturally, I could be wrong about any or all of these predictions.

As to whether you should get the new release, that depends a lot on whether you think the (likely) upgrades to the iPhone 5S are worth it, and whether your carrier will permit it (I'm assuming you're on contract). I have a hunch that most iPhone 5 owners will be happy enough with the changes in iOS 7 to hang on to their phones for another year until their contract ends, then upgrade to the iPhone 6 or whatever. People on iPhone 4S or 4's, however, will have much more motivation to upgrade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
People on iPhone 4S or 4's, however, will have much more motivation to upgrade.

And it appears Apple is now accepting these older iPhones as trade ins or at least they're giving an Apple gift card. How much depends on the condition and age of the phone. I'm hoping to trade in my wife's iPhone 4 for the newer model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As far as the Apple iPhone trade-in program. I read an article last week about it...and the basic conclusion of the article was that the Apple program was all about convenience...not about maximizing trade-in value.

I believe an example was given...that if a top-end newer model iPhone was traded in...Apple would give about $250 for it...versus a website like Gazelle would give more like $400+.

So if someone is looking for convenience (trade-in and purchase a new iPhone at the Apple Store)...then the Apple Store is the place to go. But if you want maximum trade-in cash...other options are better.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Kept my 3GSs until they're now worthless.

Think I have to pay extra to trade them in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well to be honest, i really dont see a iPhone 5Cheap coming in on Sept 10th, but i am hoping they will announce the Retina iPad Mini and ill be first in line. I have the iPhone 5 and im not going to upgrade to the newer one like i did from the 4s to 5 when i only had the 4s for 4 months. If it had NFC then Hmmm big maybe, (i like to think of the possibilities Dev's could have with NFC as we move forward) but yea a better camera and faster processor isnt doing it for me.
Fingerprint sensor ?? Nah i still could tap in my PIN i reckon quicker than the sensor could analyse my finger print then give me a error and then trying, trying again until i get a green light. But honestly by the time it scans and lets you in, a 4 digit number can be typed quicker. Gimmick ?? Yes . . .

Retina iPad Mini Please Phil :) then i can hand me down mine, and the 3rd gen iPad will be hand me down and everyone is happy :)

C

chas_m

TM: I have it on reasonably good authority that the iPads will be announced later. Of course, anything up to the moment before the keynote begins could happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TM: I have it on reasonably good authority that the iPads will be announced later. Of course, anything up to the moment before the keynote begins could happen.

As in how longer later ?? Before the Christmas break ?? I really hope so, but got me buggered why later, but i think its so they take nothing away from the new iOS and new iPhone's :(

C

chas_m

The development of iOS 7 for iPad seems to be going slower than the one for iPhone. That's just the perception, anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The development of iOS 7 for iPad seems to be going slower than the one for iPhone. That's just the perception, anyway.

Yea agree, i just read that today, i suppose i can wait

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yea agree, i just read that today, i suppose i can wait

I was originally keen on the iPad Mini Retina but changed my mind. What I REALLY want is to keep my current iPad Mini for reading and travel and add the (far less likely to actually materialize) 13 in iPad Retina for photography etc.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
(i like to think of the possibilities Dev's could have with NFC as we move forward)
You could always take a look here and test that with any Android phone built in the last three years. ;)

C

chas_m

You could always take a look here and test that with any Android phone built in the last three years. ;)

Not *any* Android phone ... most don't have NFC, just a few flagship models.

I'm still waiting to see any evidence of anything to actually DO with NFC in my everyday life ... or perhaps I should say I've yet to see anyplace in my everyday life (and I do a lot of travelling) where NFC has been implemented, much less is the default ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.