How to enable ipfw.log

Reaction score
Under Mountain Lion, I want logs from ipfw sent to ipfw.log instead of dumped in system.log I've tried to figure out how OSX handles logs, but... after going back and forth between a syslog.conf which does little if anything, a newsyslog.conf that seems to only handle rotation, an asl.conf that adding a line
Code:
? [= Facility LOG_SECURITY]
file /var/log/ipfw.log didn't work, Google searches and documentation that keeps refering to syslog.conf even though it isn't used, man pages for asl.conf that don't help, man pages for ipfw that say logs are sent to facility LOG_SECURITY but asl.conf doesn't seem to recognize that...

Besides just "How do I do this?", is there a resource that clearly explains how logs are handled in 10.8?

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
Then go here, about halfway down the page: configure ipfw - Mac OS X Hints
for turning on logging.

Didn't notice the date on that post? :) OSX no longer uses syslog.conf Now, they use /etc/asl.conf

In /etc/asl.conf, there's a line:

Code:
# kernel messages get saved in system.log
? [= Sender kernel] file /var/log/system.log mode=0600 gid=80 format=bsd

It looks like ipfw logs are all level 7, so:

Code:
? [= Sender kernel] [< Level 7] file /var/log/system.log mode=0600 gid=80 format=bsd
? [= Sender kernel] [= Level 7] file /var/log/ipfw.log mode=0600 gid=80 format=bsd

However, there are several "Level 7" / 'debug' logs other than ipfw / ip6fw entries. I'm still looking and hoping there's a way to be a little more granular.

Reaction score
I'm bad about that, as some here can tell you. Answering 3 year old posts and whatnot. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.