TimeMachine disk suddenly stops working!

Reaction score
Hey,

Today I was working on my MacBook. I had three external hard disks mounted: one of 1TB for files, one of 250GB for files and one of 1TB which I use as my TimeMachine disk. I was reorganizing some files, emptying my trash (from both the external hard disks and from my MacBook) and in the meanwhile my TimeMachine was making a back-up of the files on my MacBook, not on the external hard disks.

All of a sudden, I got a warning message that indicated the 1TB hard disk (which I use for TimeMachine) could no longer be used for Time Machine! The disk also had disappeared from my Finder, but via the "Information about this Mac"-menu and the Disk Help Application I can still see the disk and make it reappear in my Finder.

I've tried to repair the disk using the Disk First Aid application, but this gave me another error. It said I have to make a back-up of the files on the Time Machine disk itself (?!). re-format it and put those files back. But re-formatting would destroy all my Time Machine-back-ups of the last months, something I'd rather avoid.

So, I've tried to copy the files on the disk (i.e. the folder which contained the latest back-up of my MacBook) to my MacBook. But I don't have enough space on my MacBook nor on any of my external hard disks to store all those files!

None of all this seems to make any sense to me. What can I do to get my Time Machine working properly again?

————

UPDATE: I've retried running the Disk First Aid application, and it actually start repairing the Time Machine. In the log, it says (among others):
- there's an "incorrect number of thread records"
- there's an "incorrect number of hard links of files"
- there's an "incorrect number of extend characteristics; it should be 1917774 instead of 1920563"
- there's an "incorrect number of access control lists; it should be 1917773 instead of 1920562"
- "incorrect supreme part for directory-inode (id = 16780849); it should be 19 instead of 18"
- etc. etc.

After a while, Disk First Aid stops working again and gave me the advice (again) to make a back-up of the files on the Time Machine disk itself (?!), re-format it and put those files back!

I have no idea what all this means, and it really worries me, also because these problems seem to come from out of nowhere! How can I fix these problems?

rapport over time machine.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I suspect a failing drive.
How old is it?
How full is it?
Check the power supply (wall wart) for correct voltage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Agree with osxx. Sounds like a failing hard drive. You can try formatting it and using it again, but I wouldn't trust it for long.

Reaction score
Just backup all your important files and reformat. If that doesnt help, better go to a pro to see it and let him fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stress that 'now' bit. Don't trust it simply replace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.