Freeze, then unformatted disk. Out of the blue.

Reaction score
So I was just chillin, watching a youtube video and out of the blue my whole system freezes. After I reboot I get the flashing question mark. Even the recovery partition is gone.
I start online eecovery and disk urility says my disk is unformatted.

Haven't installed any new software, connected any new hardware or changed any settings in at least a month. I wasn't running bootcamp, didn't have any out of the ordinary software installed.

So my question is: is there any way to restote the partition table? Cause I doubt all the data actually got deleted.
And also why the **** would something like this happen? I thought Windows PCs were supposed to be the wonky ones, but in 15 years of using all kinds of different Win machines this never happened to me, I never lost data. Then this happens on my 1st Mac :(

Using a MBA mid 2012 and... was running 10.8.4 now running nothing I suppose. And before you suggest taking it to an Apple store - that's not an option or I would have done it. The closest one is 700 miles away and 3 countries over.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

The MBA's use SSD's for storage as opposed to traditional HDD's and the SSDs are less prone to issue due to mechanical or movement failure, but can still fail due to electrical issues..

Does Disk Utility report the right size of your SSD?

OP
H
Reaction score
The reported size is 121.332.826.112 bytes. A quick Google search says that's what it should be. Also when clicking the info button all the different kinds of errors have a value of 0.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds very much like your SSD has failed. Call the nearest Apple authorized center and see if you can take it in to be repaired. You can not easily replace the SSD in your MBA without technical help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is how you install a new SSD into your MBA..

Looks like the MBA is detecting the SSD but has somehow lost the FAT or something to tell you what information is on there. You can attempt to re-install, but then you risk losing your data unless you have a backup of it already.

OP
H
Reaction score
I wouldn't be installing a new SSD myself since the notebook still has warranty. It's just that sending it back to the store would probably mean I wouldn't have a computer for at least 2 weeks, that's why I wanted to explore other options first.

Thanks for your opinions anyway...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two weeks? I don't think so.... Our local Apple store can change out a hard drive or SSD in a MBA in less than two hours as long as they're not overwhelmed with repairs. Even at that it takes less than a day or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
It does sound as if the flash memory has failed or it's contents corrupted. Had you tried booting from the recovery partition, reinitialising, then reinstalling the OS? If this fails it's then likely the flash memory is defective. You'll only get that replaced in an Apple store or by an AASP. Re in your first post "And before you suggest taking it to an Apple store - that's not an option or I would have done it. The closest one is 700 miles away and 3 countries over." I can see why you are reluctant, but you will likely have to bite the bullet and ship it. Did you have everything important backed up? If not that complicates the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.