re: Genieo

Reaction score
re: Genieo

Has anyone else recently turned on their Mac to discover that their homepage had been replaced by Geneio? Genieo - A Newspaper Styled Homepage | Startpage | RSS feed

In addition, there was an application installed, and as far as I'm aware, that doesn't happen without MY intervention.

So, how did this happen? Any chance that Facebook was involved?

I never visited the Geneio site, nor do I recall being prompted to install any application.

I've fixed/changed everything, just curious how this happened. :Confused:

Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
re: how it got there

Thanks for your prompt response. I was able to get rid of the Genieo thing, but I was more concerned as to how it got there in the first place. As I said, I thought every application had to be approved or PLACED in the application folder by me. I do NOT remember OK-ing this Genieo thing.

Any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What applications have you installed lately?

Don't know if it does now, but it has in the past come bundled with other software.

OP
R
Reaction score
re: applications

That's just it.....I don't think I've installed any new applications lately.

For what it's worth, do you remember what Genieo was bundled with?

I have a support ticket with Genieo, awaiting a response as to how they ended up in my application folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.