2011 17" MBP caught fire this morning

Reaction score
Saw this over on Macrumors. My charger had a similar thing happen, scary. Is there a recall for magsafe chargers?

I've had a fun morning. My 17" MBP decided to catch fire, and I woke up to the smell of plastic burning and smoke. Was about to rush to the kitchen, but when I got out of bed, I noticed my charger, corner of my MBP, and carpet were burning green/orange flames. It looked like there was burning inside the computer as well, because smoke was coming from the inside of the computer, not just the outside.

The corner of the MBP is burned, and will no longer turn on. Also in the corner, the aluminum is scorched up. The charger is melted, and theres a big burnt hole in my carpet.

I don't use this machine a lot, and everything has been kept in great condition.

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 227
Condition: Normal

I did have to return it once to Apple, two days before warranty expired, due to a failed harddrive. I was in a rush to get to school, and then said that I could purchase Applecare when I picked it back up. As I was in the Apple Store picking it up (4/2/2012), I got a call letting me know that my grandma had passed away. It made me kind of forget about the whole Applecare thing, so I left. I came back a few days later, asking if I could still buy Applecare, and was denied. Here's the most annoying part though: since the repair, the machine would randomly turn on and off, making it impossible to use for anything beyond casual usage. I filled out the survey they emailed me notifying them of this problem, and got no response. I went in later, and was told I would need to pay to have it fixed since it was no longer under warranty, despite wanting to buy Applecare while it was still under warranty.

I'm now thinking that there must have been a short or something that could have caused the fire. I don't know much about electrical stuff, but the charger had no fraying, and was always wrapped and kept nice. The entire computer was always babied.

Very disappointing on Apple's part.

1. HD Replacement caused the computer to randomly turn off / on after they did the service.

2. Wouldn't let me purchase Applecare after a few extra days of being out of warranty.

3. Said I had to pay to fix the computer even though the problems happened due to their repair.

4. Now I have a very expensive paperweight, and a large burnt hole in my new carpet. Also, no homeowners insurance.

Just thought I would rant for a bit. Apple Store in question is the University Village Apple Store in Washington. I still have my iMac, but now it looks like I'll need to buy a new machine for portable usage. I will NOT be purchasing another Apple computer, that's for sure. Thanks for listening, and sorry for ranting. Just a bit upset, and kinda at a loss about what to do.

I'll post up some photos ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's possible Apple made a faulty repair and as a result should be liable. However, we are in no position to determine that ourselves, and it's a fair bet Apple won't easily own up to it. They already are refusing to service a problem that had been going on since they repaired it, although in all fairness to them, it may not be related and it's not clear from here how long it went past the warranty expiration before you reported it. You can try continuing to keep making noise about it (nicely, mind you), and perhaps eventually get a sympathetic ear.

You can also do your homework and see if this is a widespread problem and see if perhaps there is a class action lawsuit building. Barring that, you will need a lawyer to pursue Apple yourself. Or heck, call the desk of a local TV news station that runs consumer advocate stories. Maybe they'll be of help.

Reaction score
It's possible Apple made a faulty repair and as a result should be liable. However, we are in no position to determine that ourselves, and it's a fair bet Apple won't easily own up to it. They already are refusing to service a problem that had been going on since they repaired it, although in all fairness to them, it may not be related and it's not clear from here how long it went past the warranty expiration before you reported it. You can try continuing to keep making noise about it (nicely, mind you), and perhaps eventually get a sympathetic ear.

You can also do your homework and see if this is a widespread problem and see if perhaps there is a class action lawsuit building. Barring that, you will need a lawyer to pursue Apple yourself. Or heck, call the desk of a local TV news station that runs consumer advocate stories. Maybe they'll be of help.

thank you for your advice, but I will likely just accept the loss and buy a new computer.

ive updated my thread on macrumors with photographs and what happened when I went into the Apple store, and unfortunately, can either pay to have it repaired, or buy a new computer. A new laptop would be a lot more expensive, but I wouldn't be able to trust this computer again even if it was repaired.

MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - 2011 17" MBP caught fire this morning.

OP
T
Reaction score
thank you for your advice, but I will likely just accept the loss and buy a new computer.

ive updated my thread on macrumors with photographs and what happened when I went into the Apple store, and unfortunately, can either pay to have it repaired, or buy a new computer. A new laptop would be a lot more expensive, but I wouldn't be able to trust this computer again even if it was repaired.

MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - 2011 17" MBP caught fire this morning.

I am also in washington. go to the apple store in bellevue mall if you can. They are much better with customer service

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion the aero! I will be posting my outcome shortly! (I am posting this from the Bellevue Apple store). You were absolutely right, they are making things right, and being extremely generous. More info to come!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just read his thread over at Mac rumors. Will let the OP post it here but it all turned out very good for the OP! So glad for him as I believe this was not his fault at all. Way to Go!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.