Super slow and annoying macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I'm having some really annoying issues with my less-than-a-year MacBook Pro Retina (15in).
It goes all slow, I mean, I have Google Chorme opened with Facebook and some random pages, like some forum or something like Deviantart, also sometimes Firefox runing some Facebook games and it goes kinda slow.

But today it was totally annoying when I was trying to search some stuff in Chrome while World of Warcraft was running. It went all freezed, I couldn't do nor play WoW not use Chrome in a normal way.

I don't think that I'm overloading this machine, because it has awesome specs, but slows down so much and so easily so I was wondering If somethig could go wrong with it, idk.

These are the general specifications:
2.3 GHz Intel i7
8Gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512mb
Retina display with 2880 x 1800 resolution

Also it has 2 partitions, one with mac and another with windows (made with bootcamp)
So the mac memory has 127gb with 20gb free.

I don't know what does slow this machine but I wanted to know if you had any tips or something to share for making this faster.

Thank you very much to all of you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Assume you mean the Mac partition is 147GB with 20GB free?

If so there is your problem. Absolute minimum for anywhere near peak performance is 15% free space, and some will say up to 25%. Time to either go with a larger hard drive or start reducing the contents of your partition.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you :3

Assume you mean the Mac partition is 147GB with 20GB free?.

Well, I've a total of 127GB (with 19,32GB free and the rest used) on mac and 123,14GB (with 11,07GB free) on windows.

So you recommend me to delete files or deleting the partition right? that should speed up the machine?

OP
E
Reaction score
I deleted the whole windows partition, and it still goes slow... Idk what to do T_T

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us how you deleted the Windows partition? Because unless you used the Boot Camp Assistant to delete it, the space may still be taken up by an empty partition that was formerly Windows.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well I deleted opening the disk utility app, I selected the windows partition and deleted it.
Then I draged the mac partition to the full capacity of disk.

If I look the info of the machine it says that now I have 250,14 Gb total and 136,82Gb free.

Should do I open bootcamp and try to delete a non existing partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, don't use Boot Camp. It appears you used the "brute force" method of removing the Windows partition, however, you did it correctly. Next time use the Boot Camp Assistant.

I have no quick solution as to why your machine is still running slow though. What I suggest you might do is to have Apple look at it. Is your retina machine still under warranty or extended Apple Care? That machine is too new to have those problems unless there is something that is not working right or some process running that's slowing things down.

OP
E
Reaction score
Next time use the Boot Camp Assistant.
Got it, next time I'll do that way O:)

still under warranty

I think so, it has less than a year. Also maybe has something to do with, but the trackpad sometimes feels like it has some tiny rocks under it that affect when I click sometimes. It work well, but it feels strange.

Also some screws are a little bit loose or something like that, because when I apply some little pressure (grabbing the machine for moving it) on the back plate (the one covering the hardware) it make a sound like if there was some empty space, like the screws were loose.

It may have something to do?

Also, if I send it to mac assistance, how many time could I be without it?
I mean I start the course this monday, and I take notes with it, and I've no backup laptop >-<

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good question.... how long Apple keeps it depends on their work load and where you take it. The best place to take it to is an Apple store that's local to you. You can make an appointment with them before hand. It's always possible that they may decide it has to undergo repairs that they can not do locally, but usually the Apple stores are good at making on the spot repairs the same day.

Hopefully, you have some sort of backup computer or maybe an iPad or tablet you could use in the meantime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.