Quickbooks for Windows on my Mac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new user here and hope I can get some advice.

We just purchased new computers for our business and I am trying to get them set up myself and although I am fairly computer literate, enough to do this with instruction, I need help. Our company uses iPhones, iPads, iCal, etc every day, it's a necessity. We also use quickbooks everyday on a PC. What we really need is to be able to use all of the Mac based items as well as have 2 people access and work on Quickbooks at the same time. As of now this is what I have to work with:

2 new iMac computers
1 new mac mini
Quickbooks 2013 for Windows

My questions:

1. What version of Windows do I need to get and install on the mini?
3. Boot Camp? Parallels? VMFusion? which one do I need?
2. How do I go about getting this all set up?

From what I understand so far is we need to set up the mini as a PC, install a version of windows on it, then install QB on it. From there we set up the other 2 computers to run Mac OS but access the mini through a network to be able to access the QB file at the same time with both computers. Step by step instructions would be really appreciated in doing this as I do not want to compromise any of our company files or mess something up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do I need to install QB 2013 to upgrade my 2009 version on our current PC before transferring files?

Thanks. Heidi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you can get hold of a windows disk, then Windows 7 or XP will do fine to run Quickbooks

You can run windows in a virtual machine, using either the free VirtualBox from Oracle or VMWare Fusion or Parallels, all of which will run Windows and Quickbooks just fine without the need to exit OSX.

You can usually find good deals on the web eg
Download Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac for only $39.99 – educator and student software discounts | OnTheHub

Are you wanting 2 people to access the quickbooks database at the same time or have 2 people use the program at the same time.

Its easy to share screens on a mac and with parallels and Fusion a windows program can appear as just another app on the Mac screen, without needing to run it within the windows desktop, so one Mac can run Quickbooks and share its screen with anybody else who wants access, as long as 2 people are not fighting to control the cursor simultaneously

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.