DVD player problems

Reaction score
My MacMini runs OS 10.5.8 and has DVD Player 5.0.3. Recently I have been getting a much higher than normal number of video discs from Netflix that my player does not recognize. I have tried using canned air to blow out dust to no effect. My music CDs play just fine. Is it possible to use an external disc player with a MacMini? What connectors , drivers etc. would I look for? Do cleaning discs work?
Thnx,
D.M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi D.M. - keep in mind that optical drives that read/write DVDs & CDs have two different lasers for each technology, so the DVD laser could be 'going' with the other one fine which allows your CDs to play. I have Apple's SuperDrive for my MBP (running 10.8.4) and simply a PnP into a USB port. I would think that any external USB DVD drive would work and hopefully be recognized w/ your older OS X (not sure but others will likely 'chime in') - good luck.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have similar issues with the drive in my MacBook Pro. I'm currently using an old Pioneer drive salvaged from a previous computer. That drive (105D I think) has been recognized by every version of OS X since it was released. Currently have it in a cheap USB enclosure.

Don't think you will have an issue but if you are concerned have a look at the offerings from Upgrade Apple Mac SuperDrive / Optical Drive. Their Mac support is top notch. They should be able to answer any questions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.