I think I'm ready to switch...kinda

K

Killer7

Hey everyone. I am getting ready to switch to Apple, but I am for sure not throwing away my PC. I put too much $ into it and play too many games. Anyhow, as a newb to Apple is a 12 inch powerbook(w/o superdrive, i have dvd burner on pc) right for me? I would go with the iBook, but once you add bluetooth, airport, and a bigger HDD it actually costs more than the powerbook. I am going to use it to learn the Darwin, edit pictures, ect. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
Killer7 said:
Hey everyone. I am getting ready to switch to Apple, but I am for sure not throwing away my PC. I put too much $ into it and play too many games. Anyhow, as a newb to Apple is a 12 inch powerbook(w/o superdrive, i have dvd burner on pc) right for me? I would go with the iBook, but once you add bluetooth, airport, and a bigger HDD it actually costs more than the powerbook. I am going to use it to learn the Darwin, edit pictures, ect. Thanks.

Now, I'm not an Apple expert, I switched over only 2 monts ago nor am I a photo editing expert. I have almost no experience in both areas, Apple and photo editing. But on my 1.25Ghz 512MB 15" Aluminum Powerbook rendering a photo in iPhoto takes a while. Now, I'm guessing rendering photos does take time, but if you're going to do it heavily then I suggest getting a Dual Processor computer. I heard it's a lot faster to render photos on one of those machines.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

fasheezy said:
Now, I'm not an Apple expert, I switched over only 2 monts ago nor am I a photo editing expert. I have almost no experience in both areas, Apple and photo editing. But on my 1.25Ghz 512MB 15" Aluminum Powerbook rendering a photo in iPhoto takes a while. Now, I'm guessing rendering photos does take time, but if you're going to do it heavily then I suggest getting a Dual Processor computer. I heard it's a lot faster to render photos on one of those machines.

stick with what you got...i do solid photo editing in CS with out any issues at all and ever the use of final cut doesnt cuase much slowness.

pretty much i have not been uphappy with my powerbook at all and this is coming from a 2.4g AMD PEECEE with a gig of ram ..GO APPLE
haha

OP
C

chris041067

I just got a new 15"pb, and im more than happy with it. For editing photos a pb should be more than enough. If thats the most work your computer is going to be doing a dual processor machine is not worth the money. And iPhoto is not the best or fastest thing to be using for editing pictures anyway. Also, the reason it is probably taking so long is because you are using very high quality photos, with lower resolutions it should be much much faster. Being too slow is the last thing i would worry about in a pb. Go with it, you wont regret it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.