iPhoto won't import.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm going to word this query very carefully as in my searches so far the replies to similar queries all assume that the OP is taking about not being able to view images that they have previously imported or think they have imported to iPhoto. So to be clear this query DOES NOT relate to any photos already in iPhoto (which I have been using since 2007 BTW).

I'm trying to import newly taken images to iPhoto. I first used my SD card in a USB reader and subsequently have downloaded all images to a folder on my internal hard drive. I've tried dragging them from finder window to iPhoto and using iPhoto Import menu option but every time the first image appears with the message that "The volume for “DSC_xxxxJPG” cannot be found. Cancel, Find Photo or OK" Both Cancel and OK have no effect and the message is repeated until I press ESC a few times to terminate the process. I have several hundred (ok 745 to be exact) images to import so I need this to work flawlessly as it has done for the past six years. I've tried importing individually, in batches of ten as well as in total with the same error in every case.

I'm using iPhoto 08 and OSX 10.8. Photos were created by my Nikon D90 and several thousand images from this source have previously imported without a problem.

Any ideas people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I suggest putting a different SD card in your camera; shoot a few pictures; then try to import those. If you have no issues, then the SD card you are struggling with may be defective, or the photos themselves corrupted for some reason.

If you have the same trouble with new photos on the new SD card, then there is either a problem with the camera itself; with the SD card reader; or with iPhoto. To troubleshoot this as an iPhoto problem, the simplest thing to do is create a new user on your computer and import the photos on that user account. You can also rebuild the iPhoto library, though I don't know if this will impact photo importing.

To troubleshoot the USB reader, the first thing to do is first try a new cable, then another reader.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I suggest putting a different SD card in your camera; shoot a few pictures; then try to import those. If you have no issues, then the SD card you are struggling with may be defective, or the photos themselves corrupted for some reason.

If you have the same trouble with new photos on the new SD card, then there is either a problem with the camera itself; with the SD card reader; or with iPhoto. To troubleshoot this as an iPhoto problem, the simplest thing to do is create a new user on your computer and import the photos on that user account. You can also rebuild the iPhoto library, though I don't know if this will impact photo importing.

To troubleshoot the USB reader, the first thing to do is first try a new cable, then another reader.

To add more detail...The photos copied over fine using Finder and are readable in Preview, PhotoShop, and all my other programs. This obviously rules out the camera and SD card. During import if I press 'Cancel' when I get the error message the photo does actually get imported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely copied. SD card is back in my camera.

I had seen the MacRumors reference which is why I specified that this does not relate to photos already imported. But thanks for the possible heads-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried importing from the camera to rule out the reader?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely copied. SD card is back in my camera.

I had seen the MacRumors reference which is why I specified that this does not relate to photos already imported. But thanks for the possible heads-up.

Did you actually attempt the solution provided there anyway?

EDIT: Simply do the following. Open iPhoto; open the preferences and go to Advanced; uncheck the option to "Copy items to the..."; quit iPhoto; re-open iPhoto; re-attempt importing.

If that fails, try deleting the preference files for iPhoto, found in:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

and this one:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist

Also, you didn't mention if you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library as recommended.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you actually attempt the solution provided there anyway?

EDIT: Simply do the following. Open iPhoto; open the preferences and go to Advanced; uncheck the option to "Copy items to the..."; quit iPhoto; re-open iPhoto; re-attempt importing.

If that fails, try deleting the preference files for iPhoto, found in:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

and this one:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist

Also, you didn't mention if you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library as recommended.

I'm away from home presently so haven't tried importing using cable. I haven't rebuilt iPhoto library but will definitely try that also on my return. I did however try unchecking the 'Copy to iPhoto' box but that had no effect so have rechecked it.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will report back before the end of the week.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:
1) Rebuilding iPhoto had no effect of the probem
2) Using cable directly from camera had no effect
3. Cannot find the plist files. Are they hidden?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:
<snip>
3. Cannot find the plist files. Are they hidden?

The user Library is, but not those files themselves. Very annoying change introduced with Lion. You can easily unhide it using DesktopUtility.

If you still can't find it, download EasyFind and search for the file. Use your home folder as the search location.

If it still can't be found, then we may be on to something here.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Found and removed the two .plist files (using Desktop Utility). but error still remains.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update...
I created a new iPhoto Library and the photos imported without a problem. Does this suggest anything and is there any way photos can be moved from one iPhoto Library to another?

C

chas_m

Excellent! Good job on creating a new iPhoto Library.

You can bring the photos in the old Library into the new one one of two ways: the tricky but free method, or the easy-but-$30 method.

The tricky-but-free method: You can export from iPhoto and re-import to the new iPhoto library (the free iPhoto to Disc will make this easier if you haven't yet upgraded your iPhoto 09 or '11 to use the unified Aperture/iPhoto common library format).

The easy-but-$30 method: buy and download iPhoto Library Manager. It lets you merge or separate libraries at will, and is quite amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update...
I created a new iPhoto Library and the photos imported without a problem. Does this suggest anything and is there any way photos can be moved from one iPhoto Library to another?

I have little to add to what chas recommended, except that you may need to consider upgrading from iPhoto '08 since you are on Mountain Lion. The current version may simply play better with it.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was looking to upgrade to 11 but the latest reviews on App store are full of it's instability and poor performance, so not sure whether to wait for these issues to be resolved, if indeed they are real issues.

C

chas_m

I don't know what you read, but it's complete nonsense. IMO iPhoto 11 is a HUGE improvement over iPhoto 09 -- I can only assume the reports are due to user incompetence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was looking to upgrade to 11 but the latest reviews on App store are full of it's instability and poor performance, so not sure whether to wait for these issues to be resolved, if indeed they are real issues.

I've been using iPhoto '11 for some time and have had no issues myself. I don't really agree with chas' assertion about "incompetence" on the part of those who are having issues... that's just being arrogant. I have no problems recommending it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iphoto 11 works great for me not sure why anyone would not like it.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bit the bullet, upgraded and the truculent photos loaded just fine.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.