Updating Original Ipad

Reaction score
So I need to update my or should I say my wifes iPad. It is one one the first generations
and it is telling me that I need to load everything to my computer so it can update. My question is that I have some stuff from an old user name and my wife has her own stuff on there, am I going to lose some of the old stuff or once I move everything to my laptop everything will save.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its my belief that if you copy everything over using your wife's username then thats what will only come over. Whats on there from the other user wont copy over, because you are logged in as the wife, not as the old user. If that could happen, everyone would be swapping iDevices to get everyone else's content.

I know this, because i had a iPod and gave it to my son, as he used it more, and i then got him his own Apple iD and when he backed up first, only his stuff came over, and whenever there was a update, he needed my Password so the Apps could update, so i cleaned it up for him and bought him his own Minecraft and so on, but no, the old stuff SHOULDNT come over onto that Apple ID.
If that could happen, it would be down the lines of stealing, and thats why Apple make it the way it is. Your Apple iD Apps are your and the Wife's are hers. . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
TM, I'm not sure about that. If you authorize iTunes on that user account for both Apple IDs, it should work. If it isn't, I think it will prompt you do authorize it before proceeding with the backup. I have purchases from an older and a newer ID on my devices (as does my wife) and we have no issues syncing/backing up. Where having multiple Apple IDs comes into play is iCloud and auto-updating. iTunes will only update apps that are tied to the ID that is currently logged in. I have to log out and back in with the other account to manage the apps for the other ID. Of course I normally do that on my iDevice anyway.

Piracy isn't an issue also because the iDevice still has to be authorized with the Apple ID that the apps are tied to before they can be used. In any event, I agree it is much cleaner to stick to one Apple ID per device and not mix things up. When migrating to my .Me Apple ID some time back, I started re-purchasing some of my apps to make things less of a hassle. Thankfully most were free and relatively few at the time.

OP
ryanp77
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys I am going to give it a try today and see what happens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
iPad updates

I have an iPad Original and I am the first owner. My problem is that I installed 'Garage Band'
when it first came out, as I have done several backups to my Mac all was good, until I stripped the iPad and then 'Garage Band' disappeared, so now I have installed again and now it will not update!!!!!!!!
Anybody heard of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if anyone has please let me now what I can or can't do. Because this is pissing me off.
thanks.:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have an iPad Original and I am the first owner. My problem is that I installed 'Garage Band'
when it first came out, as I have done several backups to my Mac all was good, until I stripped the iPad and then 'Garage Band' disappeared, so now I have installed again and now it will not update!!!!!!!!
Anybody heard of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if anyone has please let me now what I can or can't do. Because this is pissing me off.
thanks.:Not-Amused:

Why not download it to your Mac, if its not already, update it, and then sync it to your iPad ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
ok thank you.Will do that and hope that works.
thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.