Updating Apps under new login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
I gave my 'old' Mac to my parents. When I gave it to them we created a new login for them on the machine. Now, when certain updates come down from the mothership (iPhoto and iMovie in this case) the Mac tells them they must sign in under my apple ID to update these programs.

Is there any way to change the "ownership" of these programs so they will update under my parents login?

Thanks,
Jeff

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think there so. Purchase of the apps is tied to a specific App Store account not a specific piece of hardware. They are only connected to the Mac in the sense that you are allowed to install them on Macs you own. Thus the updates don't appear when logged into their store account. As far as Apple is concerned these are two different customers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The updates request for iPhoto and iMovie do appear when they are logged in to their account. That is why they are asking me about this. They keep showing up.

Can they buy the apps? WIll the new apps 'over-write' the old and allow updates to proceed normally?

M

MacInWin

As Sly said, the applications are associated with your Apple ID, not the machine or the login accounts on it. YOU bought the applications, or your Apple ID was associated with the apps when they were installed. When you created new login accounts under OSX for your parents, those new logins did not change the association of your Apple ID with those applications. I don't think there is any way to transfer the ownership from your Apple ID to theirs, if they have them. If they buy the products with their own Apple ID, then the updates will be installed (Actually, I think the latest version will be installed using their Apple ID, which accomplishes the same thing). From there, any further updates will come under their Apple ID.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. If we need to buy them under the new account then that's what we can do. It's not like we are dealing with Final Cut or Aperture.

Jeff

C

chas_m

Agreed. Plus the "updates" for iPhoto and iMovie are likely more recent versions, which are much improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.