What's so bad about Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
corysw said:
"Linky no worky"
You have to copy & paste the URL into the address bar.

If he's using a Mac, and Safari, he can command- or right-click the link and choose "Go to URL". That's something firefox and IE don't have.

Windows is a great gaming system. I love gaming on them, and need a console so I don't have to cope with the start menu. I'm thinking about waiting for Nitnetdo Wii.

But Windows is cruddy. It's a solid system, but it's not desigend in a way that it makes me do things.

Both systems are equally capable, but macs make things a lot easier and have a lto of necessary software already available. Drivers and Internet Connection are two things Macs do an excellent job at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
"If he's using a Mac, and Safari, he can command- or right-click the link and choose "Go to URL". That's something firefox and IE don't have"

That's another thing that's wrong with Windows XP. The right-click menus are full of options nobody ever uses, and lack things people would (and that Mac users do) use every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0
curious said:
Hi,

I'm a lifelong PC user (pre-Windows) and I'm thinking about getting a Mac. It would be a HUGE change for me. Frankly, fear of a change this big will most likely cause me to NOT do it (I might explain why in more detail in another thread).

[snippage]

Here's the thing: I don't have any of those problems with Windows. None. Honest.

[snippage]

I guess I just don't understand why so many people in Mac forums knock Windows XP, when I don't see the problem.

Will I end up getting a Mac? We'll see. But if I do, it'll be because I like the look of it, the weight of it, and I've heard good things about it. It won't be because I have anything against Windows XP.

Am I the only one in this boat? :)

Nope, you're not. I used 95, NT, 2000 and XP from its buggiest pre-beta beginnings. I even had a stable, non-crashy load of Win 95 work for me for more than 3 months!

One of my most treasured memories is watching one of my Linux geek friends, on January 31, 1999, proudly show off his freshly loaded penguin box only to have it completely crash when he tried to access the clock (LOL!).

I have a friend who's PC maintenance business essentially disappeared when XP came on the scene.

XP is a pretty good OS, all things considered.

On the other hand, you'd have to be able to remove IE entirely to make it even remotely safe to put on the Internet.

I've run my XP desktop for more than a year at a time without rebooting. I switched because I grew tired of running hardware firewalls, anti-spyware and anti-virus apps and *still* not being confident that I was protected. Plus, the Mac hardware is pretty **** sexy. :)

It wasn't until after I'd switched that I found out the REAL reasons to jump ship. Mac OS X *does* just work much better. It is frequently painful to have to use my work XP Thinkpad on a daily basis if only because I now know there really is a much better way to do most things on a computer. Right now, for instance, it would be unthinkable to go back to a machine that doesn't have something as basic as Dashboard or Expose.

But then, my brain is wired different. Your mileage may vary. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I found it amusing that a security update for OSX was released today. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why? They release them regularly....

M$ security updates tend to be reactive, Apples tend to be proactive. M$ patches holes once they have been exploited, Apple patches them before they can be exploited.

Now is where you tell me that is only because not many folks use a Mac and there is no one writing viruses/Malware for them....
headrub.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"it would be unthinkable to go back to a machine that doesn't have something as basic as Dashboard or Expose"

I feel the exact same way. In fact, when I have to switch back to XP, I often find myself moving the cursor to the corner of the screen, expecting to activate Expose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
baggss said:
Why? They release them regularly....

M$ security updates tend to be reactive, Apples tend to be proactive. M$ patches holes once they have been exploited, Apple patches them before they can be exploited.

Now is where you tell me that is only because not many folks use a Mac and there is no one writing viruses/Malware for them....
headrub.gif
Nobody writes malware or viruses for Mac ...cus not enough people use Macs.
If more people used them, then Macs would have as many viruses as Winders....:black:

(was that the witty retort you were looking for?....hehe :black: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but I expected it from techster, not you....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss, you need to lighten up. I was just making a joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway...

I also like how in Safari, when you're scrolling with the arrow keys, it hides the cursor so you can read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
techster82 said:
baggss, you need to lighten up. I was just making a joke.

I know, and I was making one back at you. Sadly someone intercepted for you....

I should have used the ;) emoticon, but I always forget to look at the full list instead of the silly little default one...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You guys were both joking. I figured that when I first read both your posts. Even D3v1L80Y was joking around! No fighting in the ranks please! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Hi.

I didn't bother reading any of the replies as I'm off to bed soon, but you asked and I had a minute. I did read the first post.

Windows XP was the best windows experience I had (and it wasn't all bad) but viruses, spyware, etc and having to reimage after 8 months more than once frustrated me to the point of seeking an alternative - which I happily in Mandrake Linux 8 (at the time). Linux suited my every need except some games.

I knew linux wasn't for everyone though. It took a lot of reading and poking around just to play DVDs for example. Long story short, I had the power of the command line I knew in DOS back, but it was easily 20x more powerful. Windows frustrated me starting with Win95 - not having the option to boot just into DOS with enough hardware support to play the games I wanted to play (Quake for example). My DOS had gone the way of macs at the time, which I also hated for not giving the option to boot with less overhead (thereby providing more stability).

Anyway, crashes etc had me seek something else (linux) and only when I heard the "new" mac OS would have a unix-based underbelly did I take an interest in mac. A friend of mine was always a mac user and had one I got to play around on and I quickly fell in love. There seriously is NO going back, and the freedom you experience can only be truly appreciated with a mac of your own. Windows never frustrated me more than once I started learning the unixes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to go to the START menu to turn the computer off. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
corysw said:

We all now know you hate windows. Give it a rest.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
techster82 said:
We all now know you hate windows. Give it a rest.

You are being "AGRESSIVE" again! :spook: :spook: :spook: Kidding! :spook:

I turn my Macs off usually by going to the Apple and selecting shut down. Same steps as I do with XP except it's under Start. You could always pull the plug but that is never a very good idea! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
corysw said:

There is always CTR + ALT + Delete and select Shutdown....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"We all now know you hate windows. Give it a rest."

What is the title of this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.