Startup Sounds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
The gong plays through the internal speakers, so the headphone jack trick won't work.

Reaction score
He's right. That's why I turn the internal speakers off, and still have sound with the external speakers. And no gong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's possible you have a previous version which is free. The latest version is definitely not free. You can check that yourself by going to the developer's web site. He's charging $14 for the single license version and states that the download acts like a demo for 10 uses and then it quits.

Cocktail for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I wonder what constitutes a "use", though. Is the act of turning off the gong one use, or is it considered a use every time the computer is powered up with the app shutting off the gong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I guess I'm the only one one that likes that sound then?

I only ever hear it when I boot back into OSX after a brief spot of gaming in Windows. It's a comfort thing 'ah....back in OSX' :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Triple Dot:

Note that the CNET download specifically states that it's a trial version...... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Yeah, maybe I had a fully-free version. Who knows. I've learned to live with the gong. Computer starts much faster, and shuts down much faster, without the various added bloatware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.