Can't Edit External Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3 GH i7, 100GB internal storage, 3TB external storage, 2 15" Monitors. OSX 10.11.4
I have 2 !TB drives that were attached to a PC and have lots of files stored on them. I can open the files but they are "Read Only" are these disk protected some way? when they were attached to the PC they acted normally allowing changes to the files. I don't know if I'm in the correct forum for this question so if not please point me to the correct place.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drives are formatted to NTFS which is a Windows proprietary file system. NTFS is read only to a Mac. You need a special driver in order to write to the drives. We recommend Paragon NTFS ($19.95) which you can purchase and download from here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3 GH i7, 100GB internal storage, 3TB external storage, 2 15" Monitors. OSX 10.11.4
That did the trick

Thanks Paragon NTFS did the trick. Purchased and downloaded and ran the driver and it works great. Not bad for tem minutes work.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.