Tiger Install Errors

Reaction score
Hi,

My girlfriends iBook G4 1.2gHz hard drive quit. I replaced it and while trying to install os 10.4.11, I get install errors. The disk utility says everything is fine. The drive that came out was a Samsung HM060HC 60 gB, 5400 rpm, 8m, PATA. The one thats going in is a Hitachi Travelstar 60gB, 7200rpm ATA/IDE. Could the drive type be the problem or is there something else?

Thanks in advance
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The replacement hard drive should work even though it's a faster drive. PATA and ATA/IDE are the same. Did you try cleaning the optical drive on the iBook? Buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into the drive opening. A machine that old is very likely got some dirt build up in the optical drive. Give it a try and let us know if it works.

(Also check your Tiger disk to make sure there are no scratches or nicks and that it's clean.)

OP
O
Reaction score
I cleaned the optical drive with a cloth and card. The OS disk is somewhat beat up although it passes the install DVD check. What is a good way to clean up the disk?

Thank you,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I had a similar problem with a Tiger install recently - it turned out that I had some bad RAM, and once I'd swapped it out everything went properly.
The RAM even passed the Apple Hardware Test, but the iBook definitely didn't like it.

It might be worth just re-seating yours initially to see if that helps.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Great ! and thanks for letting us know.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.