Mac HD Privileges to read and Write

Reaction score
I was just looking at mi Hard Drive when i right click it and gets its info. when i opend the tab of sharing i saw that mi HD was shared with 3 default like users and where it says everyone i change it to no acces. So guess what the mac freezes so i restar it, now i am unable to boot mi OS. I dont know how to solve it, i already tried the disk utility manager and the option of the permission. I would appreciate so much some help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mac's internal hard drive must have correct permissions so the system can write to it. You should never change the permissions otherwise you will be locked out as you are now.

How about telling us which Mac you have and what version of OS X you're using? Then we can try to help you.

OP
C
Reaction score
of course. I have a macbook pro mid 2012, withe mountain lion. when i turn it on keeping press comm + r i can go to disk utility and can see all my info. I was wondering if i conncet my HD into another mac and in get info change the value of the sharing to the way they were it would help. Or I must need to do it directly from mi macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Your mac comes with a hidden Recovery Partition.
Read about that here:
OS X: About OS X Recovery
Use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your mac comes with a hidden Recovery Partition.
Read about that here:
OS X: About OS X Recovery
Use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

I already use disk utility to repair permissions, I do it even direct from the user, writing in the terminal resetpassword and choosing my user and putting restore permissions.

If i reinstall the OS, directly from the utilities of the Recovery System, i will need a serial or something to register my OS in Apple. Or what i should do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Repairing permissions from the Recovery partition using Disk Utility does not work for the problem you're having. You need to reinstall Mountain Lion. Just re-download it from Apple and reinstall. No serial number needed. You will not have to pay for Mountain Lion again. The Mountain Lion reinstall should leave all your documents and settings in place but will overwrite system files and kexts which is what you want.

OP
C
Reaction score
Repairing permissions from the Recovery partition using Disk Utility does not work for the problem you're having. You need to reinstall Mountain Lion. Just re-download it from Apple and reinstall. No serial number needed. You will not have to pay for Mountain Lion again. The Mountain Lion reinstall should leave all your documents and settings in place but will overwrite system files and kexts which is what you want.

If I reinstall it from recovery utilities (command + r). Where it says reinstall mountain lion, I still don't going to need the serial number right? I am being cautious just because I don't want to mess it again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No serial number required. Apple is NOT Microsoft. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Glad to hear you're back up and running. Have fun. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.