Apple 20 inch cinema display for graphic design?

S

shoude77

Hey guys,

I'm looking forward to buy a new monitor and i've got a deal from someone who is selling it...

Does this monitor is good for graphic design? I mean, how is the calibration? I'm doing some jobs at home for clients and I don't want a monitor too crisp and off colors... I read some reviews and everyone says it's an awesome monitor but will I get trouble when sending jobs on press?

Thanks
-sebastien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
im no expert myself but plenty of graphic designers that i talk to at work rave about them so i wouldnt worry to much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The Apple monitors are great. I use a 23" one myself, and love it. But bear in mind that there are only 2 or 3 companies that make the screens, and they distribute to several manufactureres. Ergo, you can get the same screen, possibly cheaper from Dell. I haven't done the pricing to verify that it's cheaper, but it's worth it if you're in the market for a $700 piece of equipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Dells ultra sharps are made by the same company, you will find different refresh rates and contrast levels in the specs.

I have the 20" and only wish it were larger.

OP
S

shoude77

Thanks guys...

I heard once that LCD monitors aren't reliable in colors has a tube screen...
Any comments on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea i think that still stands with older flat screens and does to a small extent but its almost negligable now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If you're interested in saving some money, you can pick up a used Apple Studio Display. They go for about $500/ $600 on eBay and use the same display, just with a different casing (the Studio Displays are white while the current Cinema Displays have an aluminum casing).

OP
S

steve zissou

my research teacher has the apple cinema display, i think in 20 inches or whatever comes about that size. it is the best display ive ever seen. the colors on it are awsome, and it looks excellent: the aluminum casing (like ipod mini), the nice stand, and all of the cords and buttons (like apple usually has them) are tucked discretely in the back. great looks, great display, great price for what you get.

cpt.zissou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I know, sounds kinda fruity for a guy to say it, but I like the fact that my silver mini iPod matches my monitor and computer cases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
sevenhelmet said:
I know, sounds kinda fruity for a guy to say it, but I like the fact that my silver mini iPod matches my monitor and computer cases

Nah, not at all. Part of having a Mac is the fun of having a matching system. They look as good as they work :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah, i love the fact that my powerbook, powermac, and display all match.

OP
S

shoude77

I finally bought the Cinema Display and it's an awesome screen. Very sharp, very crisp. Top notch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
PowerBookG4 said:
yeah, i love the fact that my powerbook, powermac, and display all match.

That's what I want, but the Dell in the back of my mind is killing me (just like the entire computer industry and customer service...).

OP
D

DigitalN.

Dell monitors are great, their systems are the bad part. the service is close to the best to in my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.