iBank 4.3.3 will not open under 10.8.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Hello, I have been using iBank since 1st April 2012. I installed ibank as a replacement to Quicken in the perspective of migrating my mac from OS 10.6 (snow leopard) to 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion). On 1st march 2012, I migrated my data from Quicken to iBank and have continuously used iBank and Quicken together to get used to using iBank. My iBank version is 4.3.3. Today, I have at last upgraded my OS from 10.6.8 to 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). At the Apple Store, they indeed suggester to me that upgrading to Lion, then to Mountain Lion was a waste of time. Back home, I try using iBank, iBank will not open on any double clic. Looking into iBank website, I now realise I was expected to upgrade iBank from 4.3.3 to the most recent version before upgrading the OS. This is now an unfeasible option. What should I do ? TIA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll need to go back to Snow Leopard if you want to continue using iBank. The older version you have is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion and needs to be upgraded - which you can't do. Reinstall Snow Leopard, upgrade iBank to the latest version, then install Mountain Lion again. Lots of work but that's about all I can think of for now.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
You'll need to go back to Snow Leopard if you want to continue using iBank. The older version you have is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion and needs to be upgraded - which you can't do. Reinstall Snow Leopard, upgrade iBank to the latest version, then install Mountain Lion again. Lots of work but that's about all I can think of for now.
Thanks, this is the advice I feared I would receive. After a perfect time capsule save saturday morning, I migrated saturday afternoon, realised the mistake I had done, posted a question to the iBank website saturday night, receiving no live reply, cross-posted here (sorry about the double posting) tonight. Then, since my present gets, time passing, more and more different from my "Saturday morning" save, chatted with the iBank live chat (triple posting, I become a hopeless case for survival on any forum), which was successful.

[Summary] Here is the winning advice (iBank chat):

1. Use a certain link (standard I guess) to download iBank 4.7.3;
  2. If asked to replace the older, do so;
  3. Restart the mac;
  4. Open new iBank by double click on the datafile itself.
This worked. I profoundly apologise for the triple posting and am immensely grateful for all the advice I received, which saved my datafile which dates back from 2002 (earliest quicken datafile). Saved my bacon. :D:D:D

Strange how one becomes emotionally attached to a simple datafile. O:)O:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? Never heard of such a thing - have to upgrade an app before upgrading the OS?

Has to be a way for a user to buy a new computer with 10.8 and import the data from 10.6 into the new version of the app?

Found this - install the latest version, open it and enter your license number - close the app.
Search for the iBank data file - ends in .ibank - double click on it - should find and open in the new version - link.

edit:
I was researching while you were posting. Figured there had to be a way...
good deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.