Airport Xtreme

Reaction score
Recently my desktop was not recognizing Airport Xtreme and therefore not allowing to browse the internet. I ran the default diagnostics and it restored the wireless capability to my desktop ONLY. No peripheral devices can log in. My phone for instance, keeps showing a message: "Obtaining IP address from KHamson Network". After several seconds of trying I then get a message of "disconnected", whereas it immediately then says "scanning" followed by "connecting", and the process repeats itself. What must I do to recover peripheral devices??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How old is the AEBS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AEBS = Airport Extreme Base Station

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try re-setting the AEBS ?
You may have to reboot your modem and the AEBS.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried that a few times. This whole thing started when a couple days ago I got up in the morning to find the desktop was not receiving wireless signals. When that happens, the first page you see when trying to use the browser is a page that tells you that you are not connected to the internet. There is a "Network Diagnostics" link that you can click on associated to that page that takes you through the setup process that includes restarting both items. I did that. As stated earlier, the desktop now works fine, it's the peripherals that do not connect. I have heard in the past that you need to leave the router and modem unplugged for at least a minute before restarting them. Is that correct? Would that make a difference? Thank you in advance for your continued support!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have tried that a few times. This whole thing started when a couple days ago I got up in the morning to find the desktop was not receiving wireless signals. When that happens, the first page you see when trying to use the browser is a page that tells you that you are not connected to the internet. There is a "Network Diagnostics" link that you can click on associated to that page that takes you through the setup process that includes restarting both items. I did that. As stated earlier, the desktop now works fine, it's the peripherals that do not connect. I have heard in the past that you need to leave the router and modem unplugged for at least a minute before restarting them. Is that correct? Would that make a difference? Thank you in advance for your continued support!
If you did a reset and it still does not fix the issue I would say it is time for a replacement
Because this puts it back to new state and yes at least 30 seconds on unplugged.
( Reset is using a paper clip in the dimple next to the lock slot using instructions in the book for reset. )

OP
K
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh......I thought reset was merely unplugging. I will do what you say and see how that works. Thanks so much!

OP
K
Reaction score
Today I went through the entire process with no luck. Before doing so, I made sure the latest firmware was installed. Peripheral devices can see the network, but still can't log on automatically as they always have, nor am I prompted for a password, etc. I'm out of ideas. Thank you for trying to help me. May have to go to a Genius Bar or similar. There must be something I am not explaining in writing very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.