iPad Apps Will Not Update

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct category, but for the last 2 months or so, whenever my iPad 4 indicates there are updates to apps, I click "update," it asks for my Apple ID and password, and then the apps will not update!
The small progress meter beneath each app icon seems to start, and then it immediately disappears and the "Update" button re-appears. I went to the Genius Bar this morning; the tech re-installed my OS; I re-synched on my Mac--and the problem is still the same! I have searched everywhere, and I cannot find an answer that solves the issue.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what can be done for this? Thanks very much, in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try updating the apps from iTunes. Open iTunes, click on apps. It should indicate which ones need updating. Select update all or you can update individually. If the apps update OK from iTunes, they should do likewise from your iPad. (or you can sync the iPad to iTunes and the apps will update) If they don't update in iTunes, then something else is wrong.

Also, make sure your iPad is set on WiFi and not cellular (if you have that option) when you attempt to update the apps.

OP
C
Reaction score
Try updating the apps from iTunes. Open iTunes, click on apps. It should indicate which ones need updating. Select update all or you can update individually. If the apps update OK from iTunes, they should do likewise from your iPad. (or you can sync the iPad to iTunes and the apps will update) If they don't update in iTunes, then something else is wrong.
Also, make sure your iPad is set on WiFi and not cellular (if you have that option) when you attempt to update the apps.

Chscag, Thanks very much for your reply! I went into iTunes on my Mac and was able to download all of the updates that it said were needed. When I synced my iPad with the Mac, all of the iPad apps were updated successfully! I actually was unaware of the approach of updating through iTunes, so this was the first time. Again, thank you very much for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.