Wireless security

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone talk me through making my wireless connection secure on my macBook Pro. I am using a Netgear router.

I have googled it and there are so many different instructions that I am confused.

As a newbie to Mac can you explain in terms that aren't too technical.

Many thanks in anticipation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Logon to your netscape router through a browser

it will have an IP address, that you should see in System Preferences > Network type that number (like 192.168.1.1) into the address bat of your browser

If you haven't already logged in, the user name to login should be admin and the password should be password or 1234

You will see the web admin pages

Select Wireless setup from the menu, select WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)

as the encryption type and you can also name your network at the top and create a wireless password at the bottom of the page

Then select apply (you will then loose your wireless connection until you login again using the password you just set

OP
K
Reaction score
Brilliant.

I now have a secure connection.
Many thanks for your help.

Best regards Harry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
I have a different brand of router, had netgear for my pc, worked well, had a disc that helped me set it up but this one is better, newer. Now I want to get a secure wireless on my Mac, too, new modem has a router in it, I discovered. When I had the wireless working, I saw an available network with some guy's name on it, but want to set up my own, not be on some stranger's signal. I looked up some info, said something about setting it up through the Airport App, I took a peek there, but I don't know what I'm doing, so I did nothing. It said I need to put in some info, wasn't sure exactly what, besides giving the location a name; an IP address, that I can find easily enough. Have to re-read instructions again, there was something else it wants, but I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly, there's different options, bluetooth too, which I know nothing about, have to look up info on that also. This is still very new to me; I'll look the info up again but would like some advice if anyone can guide me. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Airport utility will only help with configuration of Apple's routers. The directions for your modem/router will be similar to what member louishen posted above but vary slightly baed on make and model. Can you tell us the make and model of that device.

Also, your internet service provider probably has a help page on their website with the necessary information. Who is the provider?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look that up. When I got the modem, the tech person said they don't support wireless, so I doubt there's any info to help me, as usual. Forget it, I don't need it anyway, though it would've been nice sometimes.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Post the info when you find it. Even though they do not provide support information chances are someone here either knows the information or can find it. All we really need to know from the ISP is probably included in the information used to connect the wired side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK it looks like I may need a physical unit to make a base station, can't do it just with the software, or I could dig out my old netgear unit, but I thought because there seems to be a router in the modem, I could set it up without the other unit. I'm so embarrassed. I even saw an address for the router. The brand is Cisco, the isp is charter. Their help page refers to having a separate router though, which I still have, the old netgear. It's still supported though, I e-mailed them for help about a year ago and still have a printout of their instructions. Then for awhile I was offline because I killed my pc accidentally and had to wait awhile to get some funds for another machine, had wanted a Mac for awhile so I went for it. I had tried setting it up through the Airport utility but there's info I don't have and can't find, unless I'm still doing something wrong. Here's to the technically challenged, yet somehow I manage well enough- barely.

It's because of my nook that I needed the wireless but it's caused me more trouble than it's worth, a worthless piece of junk, and I can't get the wireless to work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK it looks like I may need a physical unit to make a base station, can't do it just with the software, or I could dig out my old netgear unit, but I thought because there seems to be a router in the modem, I could set it up without the other unit. I'm so embarrassed. I even saw an address for the router. The brand is Cisco, the isp is charter. Their help page refers to having a separate router though, which I still have, the old netgear. It's still supported though, I e-mailed them for help about a year ago and still have a printout of their instructions. Then for awhile I was offline because I killed my pc accidentally and had to wait awhile to get some funds for another machine, had wanted a Mac for awhile so I went for it. I had tried setting it up through the Airport utility but there's info I don't have and can't find, unless I'm still doing something wrong. Here's to the technically challenged, yet somehow I manage well enough- barely.

It's because of my nook that I needed the wireless but it's caused me more trouble than it's worth, a worthless piece of junk, and I can't get the wireless to work with it.

Hello again, I got my old netgear router going but am still not getting the wireless working, don't know what I'm doing wrong, will keep trying, a light on the modem is amber, I know that's not good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Realizing I Need the Wireless, and Why

Thanks for the reply, I'll look that up. When I got the modem, the tech person said they don't support wireless, so I doubt there's any info to help me, as usual. Forget it, I don't need it anyway, though it would've been nice sometimes.

I wish I could delete that message. Shortly after writing it, I realized I really need to have the wireless because I had to de-register my nook, and re-register it, because it was acting strange and I couldn't fix it, despite hours of trying, calling tech support, and looking here. I had hoped to find a way to get it working, considering I could with my old PC, but I can't use that anymore because I accidentally killed it. Since I've wanted a Mac anyway, I decided to get one after many years, tired of the PC and wanted better graphics and security. Now if only I could get this wireless working, but I may need something I don't have and can't afford, so I may have to find someplace to go to use their wireless for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.