compatibility of Mac OSX 10.5.8 with seagate backup plus 1T which requires 10.6

Reaction score
Hi, my old backup drive is dying, a Verbatim 250GB and my macbook keeps saying it is disconnecting, question 1 should I keep using it?
question 2, i bought a new portable disk drive Seagate Backup Plus 1 T and haven't opened it yet. On the package it says compatible with OSX 10.6 or higher. Can I make this compatible with my macbook or should I return it and get something easier?
Thank you for your help.
Linda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That means the Seagate software that comes with the drive (backup etc) is compatible with 10.6

If you just want to use it as a drive and don't care for the bundled Seagate software, then the drive will work just fine with leopard

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, again. I have Safari not leopard, can I use this portable hard drive, or should I get a lesser version that might be more compatible with OSX 10.5.8? My current portable hard drive keeps sending messages to my macbook that it is disconnected. Should I worry about this and keep on using it, or just get one more compatible with my new needs which require me to put more on a portable hard drive. I'm also finding my macbook can't handle the amount of photos, videos etc that I need so that is why I am pursing a new portable one. Any suggestions, make, kind, model? Thanks, Linda

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safari is a web browser

OS X 10.5.8 is an operating system. The name of that operating system is Leopard.

louishen is correct in his assessment.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi to both of you. I appreciate you guiding me through all of this, so now what, open the package, will it load or whatever right away so I can use it or will I encounter problems in your opinions. I'd really like to use this but am leary as you can see. Thank you. Linda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its just a usb drive.

Connect it up and bingo, it will appear. You may want to reformat it to Mac OS Extended using Apple's disk utility but that's it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.