wondering about my iBook

M

Macpunk

Hi!

I am currently travelling around Asia and when i was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last week i fell over a mac shop and bought a 12 inch iBook. Then when i registered it online and went to check the applecare, said my iBook was purchased dec. 23 05. I find this kind of odd, since i bought it feb 3 06. What ca n be the problem? (just looking for suggestions before I contact Apple)

Oh, about the batterytime. I get around 4 hours when just surfing the net and using word. Is that normal? (i read something about 6 hours somewhere)

Thanks!

OP
N

nfs2

Was it an apple store you bought it from? (never heard of a mac store...). Sometimes if you buy an apple product from an unauthorised reseller, you get warrenty from when They bought it. I only heard of this happening with ipods though.

And for the battery, did you condition it before use? Also to get the full6 hours, you basically have to be running a bare minimum of things (no bluetooth, no wifi, screen brightness down to 1, low processor speed etc)

OP
M

Macpunk

nfs2 said:
Was it an apple store you bought it from? (never heard of a mac store...). Sometimes if you buy an apple product from an unauthorised reseller, you get warrenty from when They bought it. I only heard of this happening with ipods though.

And for the battery, did you condition it before use? Also to get the full6 hours, you basically have to be running a bare minimum of things (no bluetooth, no wifi, screen brightness down to 1, low processor speed etc)

It wasn´t an Applecenter, but an authorized shop in a large computercenter. So I guess that could be why. Thanks man(I was just worried that I may have bought a used computer or something)

ANOTHER QUESTION!(help much appriciated):

Sometimes when i turn my iBook on a fan starts before the welcomingsound comes. sometimes it doesn´t. What can it be? Sometimes theres no sound(even though it not turned off)

thanks

Reaction score
Macpunk said:
It wasn´t an Applecenter, but an authorized shop in a large computercenter. So I guess that could be why. Thanks man(I was just worried that I may have bought a used computer or something)

ANOTHER QUESTION!(help much appriciated):

Sometimes when i turn my iBook on a fan starts before the welcomingsound comes. sometimes it doesn´t. What can it be? Sometimes theres no sound(even though it not turned off)

thanks

that sounds really weird. the only time a fan should really come on is when the ibook gets really hot. this happends to me a lot as my ibook is on almost all the time, especially when i dont have it on my icurve.

as for the registration, are you sure its brand new? what would have happend is someone could have bought it and returned it. what apple sales people are supposed to do when you buy a product new, espescially a pc, is go to the apple registration site and register it FOR you. this is just to prove that the sales person witnessed the sale - he or she types in the serial no., and fills out your information. this "protects" apple, and starts the 1year warranty, which apple also uses the rep as "effective date of purchase" proof. when you get home 20 mins later (normally, in your case, a week, two weeks, a month, whatever) you go and register it incase of theft, future maintenance, etc) and apple links the sales rep's registration, with yours. its kinda like a bonding contract dealy. so a sale/return is quite possible. if its brand new and still had the factory seal thats just MESSED.

as for the sound, im not too sure. could just be a driver issue perhaps? thats really weird.

good luck! :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.