MacBook Pro Specs - SSD installation

Reaction score
I have been having a nightmare with something that doesn't seem that difficult. I installed a Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256g ....6Gb/s backward compatible. I did a lot of research, or so I thought, before the purchase and install.

Here is the problem. My negotiated link speed is 1.5 Gb/s. My understanding was that I have a SATA 2 - 3 Gb/s. Samsung and OWC said that is what I had when I was shopping. So when I saw the 1.5 Gb/s I was concerned. It was brought to my attention that I probably only have a 1.5 Gb/s....When I go to "About this mac" it says I have a negotiated link speed of 1.5 Gb/s. I didn't know if that was because the SSD was already installed and reading that or if that is some kind of processor stat that is not changeable. Sorry to be so ignorant. Anyway I booted up from my original HDD drive (now in an enclosure) and it also says 1.5 Gb/s.

Please help. I have even been to those websites where you put your serial number in and it tells you all about your mac. It says SATA 1.5 Gb/s. on one site and 3Gb/s on another. I am so confused. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard. I think it is because I have the model, A1260, prior to the unibody. So a lot of differences between 2008 MBPs apparently.

How can I find out EXACTLY what I have? Why am I getting so many different answers?
I just want to know exactly what I have so I can have the best, fastest SSD in my computer for Logic Pro. There also seems to be confusion on whether I would benefit from "Pro" models that feature incompressible data.

I know this is probably really unclear to read. If I am missing any important information please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Tony

2008 Macbook Pro
15 inch MacbookPro4,1 MB134xx/A 15.4"/D2.5G/2G/250/SD-DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You should have SATA 1.5Gb/s according to what I've found. The MacBook Pro 4.1 has 1.5 Gb/s, the MacBook Pro 5,1 (which is the late 2008 model) has 3 Gb/s, which is probably why you are seeing conflicting information due to year/model info.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you! That is exactly what I have found and what I believe to be the truth. I just got off the phone with Apple and that is what they said, although they weren't too confident in their answer. I think the confusion is that some 2008 models are SATA 1.5 Gb/s and others are SATA 2 3.0 Gb/s.

Thanks for such a quick response.

Tony

btw. I had called Apple before and they wanted to charge me for the call so I passed. I just called back to see about a support article and they actually talked with me about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.