Finder replacement

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
B
Reaction score

Do you know anyone of them could format memory sticks or flash cards without using additional disk utility? Also with option Cut (Cntrl+X) enabled? I would like to see hidden files and files extensions for any types. I prefer to skip trash if I press cntrl+delete, etc. Sorry, worked with Win for too long :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only app that was suggested which will show hidden files and folders is muCommander. None of the Finder replacements or add ons that I know of have the ability to do formatting. You're just going to have to get used to doing things the Mac way and use Disk Utility from your Applications, Utilities, folder.

OP
B
Reaction score
The only app that was suggested which will show hidden files and folders is muCommander. None of the Finder replacements or add ons that I know of have the ability to do formatting. You're just going to have to get used to doing things the Mac way and use Disk Utility from your Applications, Utilities, folder.

That is sucks, can't believe Unix can't :)

Reaction score
Xtrafinder can add a "show Hidden Items" to Finder's View menu. I think TotalFinder can too?
As far as Disk Utility, that's the way Unix/Linux/BSD works. It's modular, as opposed to monolithic. If you were in Terminal, each command is a separate program (mostly, some are shell commands). Same with the GUI. While there are some apps which try to do everything, having a modular system works better, and is faster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How often do you format flash drives?

OP
B
Reaction score
Xtrafinder can add a "show Hidden Items" to Finder's View menu. I think TotalFinder can too?
As far as Disk Utility, that's the way Unix/Linux/BSD works. It's modular, as opposed to monolithic. If you were in Terminal, each command is a separate program (mostly, some are shell commands). Same with the GUI. While there are some apps which try to do everything, having a modular system works better, and is faster.

Another part that sucks is CUT is disabled for files, I am quiet about no Home & Backspace button on keyboard. I am just one of the die hard Win users who is amazed by Mac after too many years with Win :)

Reaction score
What kind of keyboard you got? Mine has Home and a backspace (2 different delete keys).
I think all my Apple and aftermarket Mac keyboards have had those. Even my Macbook.
You need to get used to a different way of doing things. This isn't Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Another part that sucks is CUT is disabled for files,)

That feature is part of TotalFinder - not sure about the other finder alternatives but cut and paste for files works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
having a modular system works better, and is faster.

I guess that wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the user. Who goes around timing how long things take and comparing the results to a log of the same operation(s) on a different system?

OP
B
Reaction score
I guess that wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the user. Who goes around timing how long things take and comparing the results to a log of the same operation(s) on a different system?

Exactly, besides why it should take longer? It is just another running thread in my understanding. Is it different in Unix?

OP
B
Reaction score
That feature is part of TotalFinder - not sure about the other finder alternatives but cut and paste for files works

Thanks, to me it is quite funny not to have CUT for files, this is the reason of collecting tons of crap files, people are copy files and forgetting of deleting them after. Besides Delete button is not deleting them too ... :) Clicking on Action > Move to trash > Empty trash is additional steps and people are lazy :)

Reaction score
I misspoke. Instead of having one, large process taking up memory all the time, Unix/Linux loads smaller processes when needed and when finished, lets it go, freeing up memory for something else.
If all you do is one thing, one do-it-all app is fine. With multitasking, you're better off with smaller processes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.