pc world?

T

tilly

ok quick question before i go to work. this goes for people in the uk. have anyone bought an imac from pc world? is this a good idea buy from here or should i buy an imac online? i'd rather go to a shop and buy a mac rather than wait on one comming. but sadly only( as far as i know) pc world sell them, i know apple stores sell them too but the closest one to me is about 400+ miles away.

good idea from buying there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
where do you live? Check for a reseller near by my advice would be too buy online rather than PCWorld they dont know anything about macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
If it helps, John Lewis stores sell Macs too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
owww yea i always forget about John Lewis as i never go in their thanks for adding that

OP
T

topshot

Everytime I've seen a mac in PCWorld they are selling the last revision at the old price. Stay well clear unless you want the older model. But if they are selling Intel iMacs it is no different at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
I bought my Mac in PCworld, so did a freind when he saw and used mine.
It was the latest model at the time and at the correct price, that was almost a year ago now and i have had no regrets in doing so.
That was when i switced from PC's to the Mac and am loving every minute of it.

Regards.
Thomas.
North east England

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
It depends where you live. If you are anywhere near the Trafford Centre in Manchester, there is an Apple store there.

There is also one at Birmingham at the Bullring too, and Sheffield, and London and Bluewater. If you do buy from PC World, do not be coerced into their 3 year warranty - get Applecare instead.

Also, make sure it is the latest revision you are buying, because they do sell the last revisions at the same prices sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They have changed the deal on the warranty they offer. It used to be three year but now it is monthly and can be cancelled at any time. You only keep it for however long you want it, and its free for the first month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still rather have apple care as you have real technicians repairing your machine if it goes wrong and you also have local rate phone support over the 3years. Does PCWorlds warrenty offer that in comparison?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sure you can it just has to be within the first years of purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
still rather have apple care as you have real technicians repairing your machine if it goes wrong and you also have local rate phone support over the 3years. Does PCWorlds warrenty offer that in comparison?

The thing i like about PCworlds cover is it covers me for any kind of accidental damage no matter what, which i dont think apple care does. The windows laptop i used had to go back for repair some time ago because my daughter dropped it and broke the casing in such a way that the lid would not close. It was repaired without any questions at all.
I am not knocking applecare at all, i just prefered this option, which i thought was right for me at the time.
The one thing i regret ehen buying my Imac is i wished i had went and got a powerbook instead but hey thats just a personal choice and one i will probably correct when the Macbook pro's are out for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh i didnt realise that the PCWorld one covered accidental damage. Does it cover water damage do you know?
Dont mean to sound like im trolling if it does im genuine in my asking :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
ahh i didnt realise that the PCWorld one covered accidental damage. Does it cover water damage do you know?
Dont mean to sound like im trolling if it does im genuine in my asking :)

It covers for everything. I made sure of this when and before i bought it.
The only thing it does not cover me for is Batteries and external chargers (i.e on a Laptop)
One of the PCworld guys who i know very well, told me a story about his mate who was in the army in germany and a tank ran over his bag with his laptop in it, after that the laptop was about the same thickness as an A4 sheet of paper, he was covered and got a new laptop.
I think i pay about £9.99 a month for my cover for my mac and my laptop is about £6.99.
My financial advisor (the wife) deals with the money side of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dang thats expensive!
For £120 a year id expect that kind of service though. Still think id personally stick with apple care and leave the rest to the household insurance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
twdawson said:
a tank ran over his bag with his laptop in it, after that the laptop was about the same thickness as an A4 sheet of paper.

Hahaha,wow that sucks.​

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
dang thats expensive!
For £120 a year id expect that kind of service though. Still think id personally stick with apple care and leave the rest to the household insurance

Just had a look at the price of apple care on one of the uk apple sites and its £139.00 is that for three years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
twdawson said:
The thing i like about PCworlds cover is it covers me for any kind of accidental damage no matter what, which i dont think apple care does. The windows laptop i used had to go back for repair some time ago because my daughter dropped it and broke the casing in such a way that the lid would not close. It was repaired without any questions at all.
I am not knocking applecare at all, i just prefered this option, which i thought was right for me at the time.
The one thing i regret ehen buying my Imac is i wished i had went and got a powerbook instead but hey thats just a personal choice and one i will probably correct when the Macbook pro's are out for a while.

While I understand what you are saying, my house insurance covers accidental damage, and costs me £7 per month with £32,000 old for new cover and money loss cover up to £600 anywhere in the world. So, Applecare with household insurance for accidental damage makes more economical sense :)

Additionally, PCWorld Service call are the absolute pits to deal with. My first Mac was covered with their insurance, and they Mac keyboard went, we were told sorry, but Apple have to replace that since we don't replace keyboards.

We paid over £285 for 3 year cover and they would not even replace a keyboard!!! Their excuse was firstly, that they had non in stock, when I pointed them out on their shelves, their excuse then was that Apple have told them that they must send Apple customers to Apple if anything goes wrong. Total waste! we ended up having to replace the keyboard ourselves.

It is a tenner a month for an iMac and fourteen pounds a month for a powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
twdawson said:
Just had a look at the price of apple care on one of the uk apple sites and its £139.00 is that for three years.

Yes, that is for three years. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.